Le Rochefort - 1787 Harbor Yacht 1:24 - build log by Nersch

Hello everyone,

I started already some time ago my planning to build the Le Rochefort from ANCRE.
Some days ago I was informed during a local modeler meeting that this group build was started in the SOS forum and I would be very happy to join this group build.
I studied the already existing build logs and I'm sure that I can learn a lot from you guys.

What I'm still struggling is to decide on the scale I will/shall use to build my Le Rochefort.

2023-03-15_6.JPG

I made a jig for the scale 1/24 and one for the scale 1/36 to have something on hand to get a better feeling for the scales and size, but I'm still undecided.
Maybe I have to throw a coin ;)
What would you consider to be easier for a beginner? 1/36 or 1/24?

2023-03-15_3.JPG

I made these frames for the same purpose and I used pear and american boxwood (aka zapatero). Top and bottom on the image.

2023-03-15_8.JPG

I'm looking forward to have a good communication and exchange with you.

Hi Nersch. Personally I would go for the smaller scale. For me it would be less wasteful of timber, quicker to make, manageable for display purposes.
However a 1/24 would certainly look more impressive. I’m not sure if the 1/24 would be ‘easier’ to make than 1/36.
I’m sure there will be plenty of alternative opinions on this forum.

Hello Nersch, it's nice that you're joining us, welcome to the group building Le Rochefort. Good start in any case, your frames look very clean. As for scale, it's entirely up to you. 1:24 will probably not be easier, but the very small parts are slightly larger than 1:36, which makes processing easier and you can work more cleanly, it becomes more detailed. In any case, I am looking forward to many pictures and reports.

Hi,
Honestly, you have already two jigs and your frames are really nice. If you have time, make both...
Hi Jean1969,

To be frank, I had already the same idea :cool:

But there are also many other models I‘m interested in to build.

I have no time for modelling this weekend, but next weekend I will spend some time.
In 1/24 or 1/36 or … o_O

Hallo Dieter,
I am very happy that you started this building log in the group build of the Rochefort. Welcome to the active part of the membership.
If you have the space (in workshop) and enough material (wood resource) I would go for the 1:24 scale. It is easier to nadle, you have a little bit more "Fleisch" means meat at the wooden parts, so like Tobias mentioned already, the accuracy can be higher.

Last Friday I had the chance to visit Tobias in his workshop and had some parts of his model in hand - they are small - frames are thin -> for my fingers I would choose the 1:24 scale......

But looking at your photos until now - I have no doubts about accuracy so bot scales will look great

Finally, I decided on the scale of my model. It will be 1:24.
I will start with the keel as the first part. At least the lower part of it. I think I can use it when I'm staring with the frames.

I now prepared the wood with the right thickness and made some copies of the plans.
The paper templates are not yet glued on the board. The straight parts are clear, but what is the right orientation of the curved parts? Is it okay how I placed them on the wood? They will also be rearranged before cluing them to reduce the waste :)

P4090482.JPG

P4090485.JPG

In short time you will recognize how good you are in cutting and how much work you have for adjusting.
Often you can reduce the sanding time very much if you take some more minutes for careful and slow cutting.....
step by step and part by part

I followed OlivierF's post and added a jig to my spindle sander to update it to a thickness sander.
Most of the material I used was from my scrap box, so it was almost for free.
Maybe I need to add something for fine adjustment, but I will decide this when I made some first trials with it.

View attachment 369486 View attachment 369487
Hi Dieter.
I found with my sanding setup that the fine adjust is crucial in order to take 0.01mm of material off at a time. I still need to calculate how many mm a turn of the knob advances the the plate.

In short time you will recognize how good you are in cutting and how much work you have for adjusting.
Often you can reduce the sanding time very much if you take some more minutes for careful and slow cutting.....
step by step and part by part
Hello Uwek,
Thank you very much for this advice. It's always good to get feedback like this since I'm a beginner.
So far I have only done rough sawing with the band saw.
Before I start sanding, I can still remove excess material with the band saw to reduce the sanding time and effort.

Back