Le Rochefort 1/36 - Build Log by Moreplovac

This will be my first scratch build since elementary school.. hopefully some needed skills are still obtained...

I have ordered "An Introduction to planked on frame scale model ship" book and Le Rochefort 1787 plan set from Ancre. The shipment will be made on Dec 12, 2022 with ETA between 15 to 60 days, with shipment via regular post services.
Once plans arrive, I will see what lumber is needed and will go thru my basement hunting for appropriate building material.
Until then...

Happy modelling.

Congratulations Moreplovac !!! There are others including myself that this will be a somewhat new experience. I will load your "Badge".

In which scale will you make the Rochefort?
So we are able to adjust and add this info in your log-title

I'm a little late, but just wanted to wish you the best of luck with your new Group Build. My experience in the SoS Bluenose Group Build is that you get a lot of support from your fellow builders and no question remains unanswered. With is nice to pull up together.
Regards, Peter

So, the beast has arrived...

Honestly, I was a bit sceptical with the price paid but after opening well packaged package, I was very surprised with the quality of the book, monograph and plans. Very high end paper quality, nice printed plans, on the good paper, in the nice binder, basically one quality package, overall worth spending money package.

LeR-0001.jpg

Even flyers for other monographs are in good paper... already seeing one or two favourites for future build..

LeR-0003.jpg

LeR-0002.jpg

LeR-0004.jpg

The the monograph...

LeR-0005.jpg

LeR-0006.jpg

Nice, big letters, easy to read...

LeR-0007.jpg

Set of plans...

LeR-0008.jpg

The "carpenter dude" that has to be made now to make company as we progress building..

LeR-0009.jpg

.. and of course a companion bookmark...

LeR-0010.jpg

Perfect. Must commit I was never in possession of any Ancre books or monographs but this is really a nice surprise. Similar to buying an Apple product: excellent package that you will have enjoyment holding it as well as using the product inside of the package...

Being a rigged model in 78cm length, width 15cm and height 58cm, I think I will go with 1/36 scale, which is the scale of included plans.

Now, I will go thru the book/monograph to get specification of required material and would need to speed up my Santa Maria/Pinta models.

Happy modelling..

Went thru the book, Model Shipbuilding DockYard style, very nice and informative reading, just kind of rushed at the end, when it suppose to cover in more details rigging and sails... But overall, very useful book. Will use it in this build for sure...

At this moment, still hunting for a wood suppliers, including myself ;)

Happy modelling.

I was always struggling to see the beauty of wood species from different photos, so I got a sample package hick includes 20 wood samples. This supposed to assist me in choosing which wood to go with for my build. In this sample package red cedar still smells very nicely..

Врсте дрвета 01.jpg

With no intention to make a voting poll, would like to see what you guys think about wood for this build, so I picked few samples and ask for your opinion, experience, etc. Noticed few other builders are using beech, cherry, pear, etc..

Врсте дрвета.jpg

I am leaning towards beech and cherry combo, for example keel out of cherry and frames out off beech.. Not sure how difficult these will be to work with, sanding, filling, cutting, etc... If you guys have any thoughts pls share...

Not yet sure what to do with planking...

Happy modelling..

Hello moreplovac

The choice of wood is always a big decision and it is never easy.

When I started doing this hobby, I applied to the Croatian forum and people really helped me with their experience and knowledge, normally, the decision is always up to you because you are building the ship!!

Then there are several levels of model making, the totally realistic one or the more artistic one. Some like this, some like that, personally I don't like when it is claimed that one way is better than the other.

My wise men told me that some types of wood should be avoided because they have too strong rings( I dont know if this is a real word) for model making, so you can see this on the model.

They advised me linden( I think thi si basswood, beech, I personally also worked with pear and it is very good because it can be engraved well, pear has many colors, I personally had a reddish and lighter pear. I also worked with ash, it has an interesting color, strong contrast, it is quite bright. Linden is suitable for model making, but for me it is not particularly beautiful, it is easy to work with, but I would use it if I plan to paint the boat. I also worked with beech and was very pleased with the appearance.

The wood I was told to avoid is oak, unfortunately cherry, and I was informed that teak is very difficult to work with , same problem like oak, big rings.

I love the cherry color and I couldn't stand it and made a model of it, it turned out well and the color was beautiful, but what they said about the rings, they were right.

Before making the decision, I made samples of the planking and deck from various types of wood and treated them to the last coating to see what the final result would be.

moreplovac may I order a carpenter from you ;) ! Great thing you have in mind. Your pattern of woods is very nice and your choice is your style, of course you could say you should use this and that wood because of the optics and aesthetics but I personally think that everyone should decide for themselves.

moreplovac may I order a carpenter from you ;) ! Great thing you have in mind. Your pattern of woods is very nice and your choice is your style, of course you could say you should use this and that wood because of the optics and aesthetics but I personally think that everyone should decide for themselves.
Sure, but lets wait til I am done with carpenter; if I show you how it looks today, carpenter will hunt you in your dreams for a next few days, for sure :)

Yes, my intention was to get some other inputs, how people like working with certain type of wood, hard to sand, easy to bend, experience, etc but off course it will be on me to make a call. That is why I have ordered several different wood boards so I can test the work and appearance under different finishes...

Back