• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

Le Saint Philippe 1693 after Jean-Claude Lemineur (Ancre) in scale 1:48

I was offered a used TAIG mini-mill and jumped on it. I liked the Proxxon - but never fully resolved the 'slop' in the turning wheels which frustrated me when trying to mill accurately. The TAIG is a nice upgrade in this regards
It's too late but someone posted an upgrade to the proxxon using thrust bearings. It is designed to reduce the backlash on the axes.
I know exactly what you mean by the slop on the wheels. It's annoying
 
Hello Friends!

There has been very little modeling the past several weeks - too many things competing for my time and attention.

Of course, all work and no play makes Paul a grumpy boy, so I did spend a few hours one afternoon processing two steamed pear boards I purchased this spring. I wasn't going to do this right now, but the boards (which were supposed to have been dried) were beginning to twist. I cut the boards into workable lengths and then processed them into large billets. I'll leave them like this for now stacked in my basement with spacers between each layer. Hopefully they will settle down.

IMG_2842.jpeg

These billets are 34 mm thick so they will each produce a number of panels. And if you are wondering...steamed pear is spendy. This stack was just shy of $500 USD. Yikes.

Back at the workbench... I managed to squeeze in a few hours over the past two days which allowed me to finish some decorative carvings that flank the oval lights (windows) on the stern of the ship... I then installed these new carvings along with the balcony brackets I completed previously.

IMG_2307.JPG

IMG_2310.JPG

IMG_2311.JPG

IMG_2313.JPG

There is no finish on anything you see here - the batch I mixed up earlier this summer had set up.

It felt good to work on the SP again.
 
Back
Top