Le Soleil Royal ZHL Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

I can’t finish the hull until I install the rest of the aft decks. Before I do that, I have to build and rig the guns and then install them before they’re covered by the deck.
E09D1648-0E56-480E-A34F-5CB36BE1FE8E.jpeg
Navel gazing: Excessive contemplation of oneself or a single issue at the expense of a wider view. Change that to “naval gazing” and that’s what we do.

Hey Vic,
As you know I'm no expert but it strikes me that you want to finish the hull (and by that I mean the second planking too) before any guns are installed. You will never be able to sand the planks with guns in the way. Or maybe I misunderstand what you are planning...

Hey Vic,
As you know I'm no expert but it strikes me that you want to finish the hull (and by that I mean the second planking too) before any guns are installed. You will never be able to sand the planks with guns in the way. Or maybe I misunderstand what you are planning...
I may well have to do the second planking up to this point, but I have several guns I have to install before I can plank above them. The third through fifth guns from the right will be partially or fully covered by a deck.

I completely agree with Doctor Paul @dockattner, if you will install the gundeck artillery, you will never be able to shape the final planking layer. If I understand correctly, those cannons are represented as dummy barrels with pins at the end. If yes, then you should be able to glue them at the very last minute of your assembly.
Complete the entire hull covering with the first layer of planks. Shape the hull as we have discussed yesterday. Don't rush, and don't count the time you might need to make it perfect, It is a foundation for the perfect final planking! It is your model!

I thought about this some more and want to make sure we are talking about hull planking (rather than deck planking). I see that some of the guns will sit on a gun deck. Why can't you do the deck planking after you are 100% done with the hull planking? Sorry if I am missing something.

If you look at the picture, you will notice a black deck. There will be another deck to the left of it, but I can’t put it down until I place the guns that go below it. (6 of them). They have to be rigged first. They will be full guns and rigged. I have to put the guns in before I can put on the deck or I won’t be able to reach the guns to install them later. The right two guns are faux guns. The next three are full guns that will go under the deck. I can’t finish the planking until the deck is attached because the planks will attach to it. I can, however, plank everything up to just above where those guns will be, then place the guns, and then finish off the planking above the guns. If anyone has some better ideas, I am open to suggestions.

I’m watching a series called “World’s Greatest Ships” on Amazon Prime. Very interesting-/provides a lot of background information on some great ships.

Here’s a picture. I’ve got a total of 10 complete guns with carriages going under decking. It will be difficult to place them after covering 8 of them with the aft deck. The forward 2 won’t be as hard to get to. And I can’t finish the hull above the guns before I attach the deck. I know @Gilbertm and @paulb did it somehow. I must have missed it in their builds.image.jpg

I don't understand what prevents you from sheathing the case first. The decks can be temporarily secured. You can use small nails, you can use drops of glue. Sheathe the body from the bottom up. Gradually you will reach the level of this deck. Do not forget to draw the barhouts first,install them first, then it will be easier to orient the second skin. Damn translator. Sorry, I'm writing from my phone.

Here’s a picture. I’ve got a total of 10 complete guns with carriages going under decking. It will be difficult to place them after covering 8 of them with the aft deck. The forward 2 won’t be as hard to get to. And I can’t finish the hull above the guns before I attach the deck. I know @Gilbertm and @paulb did it somehow. I must have missed it in their builds.View attachment 255565
Hi Vic
What I did is to install the 4 guns at the left of the highlighted red section before gluing the deck. YOu can also do this for the rightmost gun of that section.
If you don't do that, you won't really be able to properly fit the guns.
Makes sense?

Regarding the cannon install on the top row - I installed just the carriages in the areas I couldn't get to. When the hull was completely finished, sanded and stained and it was time to install the cannons, I installed the cannons on the hidden carriages by putting epoxy on the cannon trunnions the fished them carefully through the cannon ports. I was able to install 6 completely built cannons and carriages on each side at the waist where they would be visible.

If I were to go back to the beginning of building the model now, I would throw these cars to hell.Make yourself normal French carriages.

If I were to go back to the beginning of building the model now, I would throw these cars to hell.Make yourself normal French carriages.
I totally understand. These will not be seen under the deck very well. I don't have the tools to make my own, unfortunately. I know you prefer to make your own. I can probably make these to look more like French carriages. I also would like some bigger wheels for the front of the carriage. I have nothing to build them with.

Back