Le Superbe - 1:75 - Mantua by Fred P. with improvements

Hello friends,
Four years ago, I started building the Superbe, a French 74-gun ship from 1785. Quickly, I found that the quality of the kit did not satisfy me and I tried to improve it, using a monograph from the Musée de la marine de Paris and the book by Jean Boudriot on this class of ship.
But enough chatter, here are the photos of the finished model after about eight months of work (not full-time ;))

Superbe_496.jpg

Superbe_497.jpg

Superbe_498.jpg

Superbe_499.jpg

Now, more details :
Superbe_500.jpg

Superbe_501.jpg

Superbe_502.jpg

Superbe_503.jpg

Superbe_505.jpg

Superbe_506.jpg

Superbe_507.jpg

Superbe_508.jpg

Superbe_509.jpg

Superbe_510.jpg

Superbe_511.jpg

Superbe_512.jpg

The fire hearth is removable in order to see its details :
Superbe_519.jpg

Superbe_513.jpg

Superbe_514.jpg

Superbe_515.jpg

Superbe_516.jpg

Superbe_518.jpg

Superbe_525.jpg

Kind regards,
Fred

I'm battling with my build, which has turned into a kit bash. So much wrong with the plans compared to Jean Boudriot's. 2 plan sheets show the mizzen channels as different lengths, for example. Mantua has them mounted higher than the main channels, whereas Boudriot & others mount them at the same level.

I like your ships boat, the ones in the kit look more like motorboats! I'm proposing to remodel mine, but I need to get the finishing touches of the hull sorted first.
I'm finding lots that do not look right, therefore they need to be altered to 'look right'.

Hello Stuart Little
Mantua's kit is indeed not perfect and it is a good idea to improve it using Jean Boudriot's books.
The rowboats that came in my kit were plastic and I built one quite quickly and without a plan. I am not very satisfied with the result because I find it too wide. I plan to build a new one.
Regards,
Fred

I'm battling with my build, which has turned into a kit bash. So much wrong with the plans compared to Jean Boudriot's. 2 plan sheets show the mizzen channels as different lengths, for example. Mantua has them mounted higher than the main channels, whereas Boudriot & others mount them at the same level.
Because Mantua and Heller kit are based on Sané's plan

Hello Stuart Little
Mantua's kit is indeed not perfect and it is a good idea to improve it using Jean Boudriot's books.
The rowboats that came in my kit were plastic and I built one quite quickly and without a plan. I am not very satisfied with the result because I find it too wide. I plan to build a new one.
Regards,
Fred
Bonjour, Fred, that's interesting because the 3 boats in my kit are wood, constructed of several layers of laser cut ply to represent 'clinker' built when sanded. Unfortunately, these have decks, which means they could only hold a few men & not very much cargo. That job can wait now! I'm at present, re-planking the hull & re-sizing the gunports as far as the wale above the gun deck ports. I also discarded the etched ply decorations & transom, replacing them with scratch-built parts. Furthermore, I have a copy of; 'Fitting & rigging a 74-gun model ship' by Francis Jonet (Ancre). Very helpful.
Mantua's plans show the bowsprit boom offset to port - it should be to starboard - I corrected mine after following the plans!

Regards Stuart L.

Hello Stuart Little
Regards,
Fred
Bonjour, Fred, after a few months rest from 'Superbe', during which I bought vols 1, 2.& 3 of Boudriot's books (French edition), a bargain on ebay UK for £23.32 ! I've built a new Beaupré & vague to his drawings, although the drawings indicate them being 1/72 scale - some are not. I shall now press on with the rigging, now the information is at hand.

Back