Lighting Help

Hi, I was considering lighting up my build on the Soleil Royal ship. I would like to add a couple of wall lanterns on the deck near a few doors but cannot find any.
Any ideas on who sells the type I would need? Am going to probably use evandesign for the leds but I cannot find any “lanterns”

Thanks

You have to scratch build the lanterns usually. You can glue slivers of wood and small cut pieces over the LED, or rig lights to be indirect, placing the LED's in places where you cannot see them directly after the model is complete. Olha Batchvarov is currently working on the Ragusa Carrack and has a very organized lighting system in her build videos on YouTube that you should watch. My wiring was routed crudely attached the underside of the weather deck, but it is not visible even through the upper deck gun ports. and the LED's are placed so they cannot be seen directly.

Example showing LED placement in a turret. The LED is in a hole bored into the bottom of the turret cap.
1617985142172.png

1617985162452.png

Nano LED's were installed inside the stern lanterns, and are far less bright than the picture actually shows, as are the LED's on the upper gun deck. The cell phone camera can't balance direct light sources with the background lighting. In the side galleries below, the LED is located inside the gallery between the two towers, and light spills out the windows for a realistic effect.
1617985252422.png

Hi,
I took an LED and drilled a hole through the top and put a small brass ring into it, then used strips of copper tape to out line the cage effect, painted the led around the top above the horizontal copper strip.
The led leads can be painted with beige enamel and a bit of very small black lines to simulate rope.

Hi, I was considering lighting up my build on the Soleil Royal ship. I would like to add a couple of wall lanterns on the deck near a few doors but cannot find any.
Any ideas on who sells the type I would need? Am going to probably use evandesign for the leds but I cannot find any “lanterns”

Thanks
Hi, for the LEDS you may want to look at those offered by Evan Designs: https://evandesigns.com. They some in various colours and sizes, including some that subtly 'flicker' - I'm using orange wheat flickering LEDS that replicates candle/oil lanterns very well.

Hi, for the LEDS you may want to look at those offered by Evan Designs: https://evandesigns.com. They some in various colours and sizes, including some that subtly 'flicker' - I'm using orange wheat flickering LEDS that replicates candle/oil lanterns very well.
I sourced LEDs from Evan Designs and would recommend them. In addition to lots of good products, their web site has a wealth of useful info on wiring, etc. Also, when I got into trouble, they were great providing advice and help.

I sourced LEDs from Evan Designs and would recommend them. In addition to lots of good products, their web site has a wealth of useful info on wiring, etc. Also, when I got into trouble, they were great providing advice and help.
Thanks, as I mentioned in my original post, I will be using evandesigns but was curious to know if anyone sold the actual lantern housings.

Hi,
I took an LED and drilled a hole through the top and put a small brass ring into it, then used strips of copper tape to out line the cage effect, painted the led around the top above the horizontal copper strip.
The led leads can be painted with beige enamel and a bit of very small black lines to simulate rope.
GENIUS! Fake lanterns!

For Micro LED's these can be found on Aliexpress at very reasonable prices. a lot of 10 or 20 is around $5 with shipping
12 VDC prewired 0805 SMD LEDs
3 VDC Prewired 0805 SM LED's

These are extremally small LEDs 1 x 0.5 mm in size but they are very bright. I would suggest that you use warm white rather than cool white. warm white has a yellow tint and looks a lot more like candle light. you can also use a yellow and a white in the same housing if you what more of candle/ oil light effect.

If you are going to use a voltage source other than 3 or 12 VDC PM me the voltage and I'll calculate the resistor required for that voltage.

Jim Nunn

For my HMS VICTORY aft lanterns I took a resin mould of the ones with the model, then inserted an led in the mould and resin filled the mould. The leads were painted black. I obtained the mould material and resin from Michaels. If you use LEDS make sure you wire them with the proper resistors and battery voltage. Oh, and when the resin is hardened remove the lantern with imbedded LED and paint the cage black with enamel paint.

Hello, I am a new member and saw this question regarding lighting. I am building the AMATI HMS Fly 1:64 scale, and am incorporating Fibre Optics into the model which will be fitted into the cabins. Prior to using Fibre Optics, the route of the cables through the model must be carefully planned prior to the build. I will incorporate a three-candle stand, two candle lanterns, a hanging oil lamp and a firehearth in the forecastle. I attach a picture of one of the candle lanterns which has been scratched built. Please let me know if you have any questions and I will do my best to help.

Attachments

• Candle Lanter.jpg
    Candle Lanter.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 6
  • Candle Lanter.jpg
    Candle Lanter.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 6
Back