ligurian Tartane LA GEMMA becoming SIXTUS V. in 1/64

I did try to get my Mastersherz for copying the bulkheads and figured out that the copying Maschine didn't have me same sizes.

IMG-20210815-WA0002.jpeg

May be the paper was changed maybe something else. It doesn't look neglectable if you Look in detail -
IMG-20210815-WA0004.jpeg

so I will have to investigate on all my copied sheets to such a fault...

Very nice! She's quite similar my current build of the leudo Santa Lucia which was started many moons ago. The hull has been completed but not without problems and errors. I see your scuppers are perfectly shaped semi circles. I gave up trying and only made a dozen on each side six short of the plans. I couldn't get a correct consistent shape with my small curved file. I was thinking of using a proper size drill bit and then filling in the lower half with putty. However, I am afraid of the damage I may cause to the deck. Any hints are appreciatedView attachment 250346
Thanks a lot Tommy, so I do have some Body how can watch in my work warning me due to "missteps". That is very helpful.

as you see I did run in some trouble with my copies so I do look on the papered side first. And I will start the hearing - now!

Hi Chris!

These copying errors are the reason why "Ancre" offers its range of blueprints in different scales for one model. Unfortunately, there are only 1:36 and 1:24 for the Tartane. Maybe 1:36 would be an option: for the eyesight the larger parts are much easier to handle. They consume more wood, but then also have a handsome model.
Copiers do not work 100% accurate even in the 21st century. If you turn the original on the copier by 90 degrees, the copy can look different again. This is due to the direction of travel (grain) of the paper, the heat of the drum heaters and the tension of the paper transport. And then the moisture in the paper itself comes into play. Always place a ruler together with the original on the copier and then you can check the copies exactly.

I have an expensive industrial copier. Larger drawings occasionally require some adjustment via the repro factor. I only copy for my own, so I'm a bit more conscientous.

"Ancre" blueprints are printed on presses that cost more than we can afford to buy in our lifetime. They are more accurate than the copies of a photocopier.

1:36 sounds good!
Thomas

First progress with my AV moulds:

IMG_20210815_112330.jpg

Here is really something I do not understand:
When mould 12AV holds the frame the holder of the keel is collidating with the real frame - Am I right to cut out wedges to get the frame connected to the keel - or am I wrong?

The rest of the AV-moulds are cut out by this method:

IMG_20210815_114046.jpg

And glued Aline with the prefabricated edge of the bookmaker's cardboard.

IMG_20210815_115752.jpgsome are really tiny and fiddly even to be glued on the Card:

IMG_20210815_120407.jpg

All in all - the first steps are set. Sorry Uwe! No saw dust but good old Uhu smell and Film in the fingers :)
IMG-20210815-WA0006.jpeg

But I do get used to the size of the boat more and more...

IMG-20210815-WA0008.jpeg
Finding my big box with veneer - and I am still searching for the 0,5mm Evergreen plastic sheets for the frames...

...may be I have to order them again.

Attachments

• IMG-20210815-WA0011.jpeg
    IMG-20210815-WA0011.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 1
First progress with my AV moulds:

View attachment 250501

Here is really something I do not understand:
When mould 12AV holds the frame the holder of the keel is collidating with the real frame - Am I right to cut out wedges to get the frame connected to the keel - or am I wrong?

The rest of the AV-moulds are cut out by this method:

View attachment 250502

And glued Aline with the prefabricated edge of the bookmaker's cardboard.

View attachment 250503some are really tiny and fiddly even to be glued on the Card:

View attachment 250504

All in all - the first steps are set. Sorry Uwe! No saw dust but good old Uhu smell and Film in the fingers :)
View attachment 250498

But I do get used to the size of the boat more and more...

View attachment 250499
Finding my big box with veneer - and I am still searching for the 0,5mm Evergreen plastic sheets for the frames...

...may be I have to order them again.

IMG_20210815_122240.jpg
For the positionsring of the PP-moulds I scratched a fine line in the cardboard to stay with the very same material.

Hi Chris!

These copying errors are the reason why "Ancre" offers its range of blueprints in different scales for one model. Unfortunately, there are only 1:36 and 1:24 for the Tartane. Maybe 1:36 would be an option: for the eyesight the larger parts are much easier to handle. They consume more wood, but then also have a handsome model.
Copiers do not work 100% accurate even in the 21st century. If you turn the original on the copier by 90 degrees, the copy can look different again. This is due to the direction of travel (grain) of the paper, the heat of the drum heaters and the tension of the paper transport. And then the moisture in the paper itself comes into play. Always place a ruler together with the original on the copier and then you can check the copies exactly.

I have an expensive industrial copier. Larger drawings occasionally require some adjustment via the repro factor. I only copy for my own, so I'm a bit more conscientous.

"Ancre" blueprints are printed on presses that cost more than we can afford to buy in our lifetime. They are more accurate than the copies of a photocopier.

1:36 sounds good!
Thomas
Thanks Thomas! A lot of Things do absolutely vote for staying in the scale with 1/36 - but not my flat. So I have to live with the problem of the copyingmachines - as long as they are working with laser the do heat the paper and as it is a wooden-derivated material it does allways dry in different areas inhomogenous and does wrap the drawing. (This was the reason why I investet twice the monography's price into ink printed reductional copies of SAINT PHILIPPE 1693-1714 scaled to 1/64 {will stay in hull with 987 millimeters [without figurehead] in length - but her plan rolls do have to wait a bit.} and have choose this scale as my Line of building - all the modells shall be compareable.

IMG_20210815_123747.jpg
So to me and the flat the 400x119mms for the hull is possible to store.

IMG_20210815_124804.jpg
So the size is something that really matters - if it is the Tartane SIXTUS V.,the Whaling Schooners AGATE or JOHN R. MANTA or the pleasure Corvette AURORA of 1766 for example they should be in a similar scale. Also Durch ships in 1/66 would fit in better than 1/77 compared to 1/72).

Last edited:
Moulds are all glued on 2,7mm cardboard for been cut out...

IMG_20210815_164737.jpg
So I can think about the construction as a hole.
IMG_20210815_165757.jpg
This IS the recent Situation. The CenterLine part is drying and I am on my way with the dog meanwhile.
Hopefully next weekend we do see some progress.

Any suggestions from the experinced one to my topic?

Last edited:
Hello, as I am daily business for 10-12h There is only on tube and during my lunch break a bit of time to deal with SIXTUS V. and NAVICULA so Progress isn't that much. Today I leafed through the handbook again and Made my thoughts to simplify the rigg - in particular the fore sails, boom and the triangeled topsail.

And in the monography I rushed right into this picture below and stopped for several reasons enthusiasted.

Due to the untopped mast this lovely small Tartane very much looks like a reseonable solution I could follows as a prototype due to the simpler rigg. The picture from the collection F.Fissore and does date to 1900 so she is a hundred years too young but siginficantly simpler in rigg without top mast and top sail.

IMG_20210819_123531.jpg
The mast does not look like it raked foreward slightly?

Last edited:
Based on the üperspective it is hard to see (or decide) of the mast was raked or inclined..... really hard to say.
TopMast: For me the top end of the mast is relatively thick, means it has a big diameter at the top, so I guss, that here maybe the topmast was disassembled at this situation, but who knows.
On the next page you can see this one, without topmast - on this photo you see it much better.
BTW: Here the mast seems to be racked foreward
gemma.jpg

Based on the üperspective it is hard to see (or decide) of the mast was raked or inclined..... really hard to say.
TopMast: For me the top end of the mast is relatively thick, means it has a big diameter at the top, so I guss, that here maybe the topmast was disassembled at this situation, but who knows.
On the next page you can see this one, without topmast - on this photo you see it much better.
BTW: Here the mast seems to be racked foreward
View attachment 251389
Yes,Uwe, this mast looks taking foreward a bit and she doesn't have an big enclosed backdeck. So when the backdeck was introduced to the Tartans?

She is heavyly loaded - I do think about bricks - an interesting idea for the model to me.

Back