Longlegs55 builds ZHL Soleil Royal

well that's me back from the furnace of Egypt. not much progress but completed the foredeck areaIMG_20240708_050350_burst_01.jpg and attached the front curved pieces. oh for the joy of zip ties, strong enough to hold but soft enough so that they don't mark the guildingIMG_20240708_050337.jpg. so next is a jig for the gunport lid hinges and to complete the other attachments to the side of the hull and then it will be the upper deck cannons before the model moves away so that i can turn the masts and spars! then i will be leaning on your extensive knowledge once again i'm sure!
On a side note , i have just placed an order with model-expo for the USF Constitution which is in the sale and saved me a small fortune on what i would have to pay this side of the pond and only $50 to ship it over here!

well that's me back from the furnace of Egypt. not much progress but completed the foredeck areaView attachment 457922 and attached the front curved pieces. oh for the joy of zip ties, strong enough to hold but soft enough so that they don't mark the guildingView attachment 457923. so next is a jig for the gunport lid hinges and to complete the other attachments to the side of the hull and then it will be the upper deck cannons before the model moves away so that i can turn the masts and spars! then i will be leaning on your extensive knowledge once again i'm sure!
On a side note , i have just placed an order with model-expo for the USF Constitution which is in the sale and saved me a small fortune on what i would have to pay this side of the pond and only $50 to ship it over here!
Looking good ! Thumbs-Up

Cheers all. sadly i can't take the credit for the zip ties, whilst i was cursing and swearing the wife passed them to me, innocently asking "will these help?"!!!!!

some progress being made, be it slowly! Figurehead fitted and starboard cathead support IMG_20240720_101421.jpg, hence all the zip ties! Starboard side channels fitted and completed with all the appropriate deadeyes, strops and chains IMG_20240720_101348.jpg, IMG_20240720_101357.jpg. all of the port side channels are fitted i just have to fit all of the strops, chains and deadeyes. On that note , i was waxing lyrical about the quality of this ZHL kit at the beginning, save for the instructions, but having come across the deadeyes, they are a real disappointment. the vast majority are either damaged or out of shape to the point where i have fallen back on my regularstop for any pieces, Cornwall Model Boats, and have ordered a complete set of replacement deadeyes. A bit of a let down after the accuracy of all the laser cut wood. I hope no one else comes across the same problem and we can just put it down to my bad luck. will be missing for a little while as the model is going into storage to avoid dust build up whilst windows are replaced.
So until i'm back again Happy Modelling!!

some progress being made, be it slowly! Figurehead fitted and starboard cathead support View attachment 459964, hence all the zip ties! Starboard side channels fitted and completed with all the appropriate deadeyes, strops and chains View attachment 459965, View attachment 459966. all of the port side channels are fitted i just have to fit all of the strops, chains and deadeyes. On that note , i was waxing lyrical about the quality of this ZHL kit at the beginning, save for the instructions, but having come across the deadeyes, they are a real disappointment. the vast majority are either damaged or out of shape to the point where i have fallen back on my regularstop for any pieces, Cornwall Model Boats, and have ordered a complete set of replacement deadeyes. A bit of a let down after the accuracy of all the laser cut wood. I hope no one else comes across the same problem and we can just put it down to my bad luck. will be missing for a little while as the model is going into storage to avoid dust build up whilst windows are replaced.
So until i'm back again Happy Modelling!!
Your bling turned out really shiny! I didn’t have the same problem with deadeyes. Did you contact ZHL for replacement?

Your bling turned out really shiny! I didn’t have the same problem with deadeyes. Did you contact ZHL for replacement?
no, i didnt bother. it was quicker and cheap enough to source them from Cornwall model Boats, and Max has already been brilliant and sent me a few replacements for damaged or missing parts.

hi all again!

I've finally been able to do a little more and have turned and carved all the mastsIMG_20240911_182236.jpg and have the final spar on the lathe ready to be turnedIMG_20240911_182244.jpg and on that subject i really need some help!!

What colour to paint them???
on my caldercraft models they were painted yellow ochre. i thought about leaving them "au natural" but they are too "white". i had also toyed with staining them but can't decide on the correct colour!

Once again any input will be gladly received. is there a consensus or is it just down to the individual choice? at this point I have no clue.

thanks in advance, any comments greatly appreciated.
Cheers , Neil

The Caldercraft models are usually of a later period, and I think that these ships had painted masts, but this one I have my doubts that they were painted

thanks all, ive decided to paint the spars black but am still mulling over the masts. i'v got a french oak stain which seems to be ok but still trying other "practice" stains!
Cheers again for all the assistance, Neil

Back