Looking for a stern wheeler Mississippi type boat

Hi all,
Does anybody know if a single or maybe a two deck Mississippi type boat that was ever constructed for a model ship building? A freight paddle wheeler.

Last edited:
Hi all,
This is what I'm looking for. I can't find it in 'large' sizes only HO or O gauges. Does anyone know of a model manufacturing company making this type of paddler wheeler?
port_side.jpg

Plans in one scale can be changed to larger scale and scratch built.

This simple flat bottom boat shouldn't be to hard to build up.

Don't know of kit of simple cargo river boat like your design.

Hi all,
Does anybody know if a single or maybe a two deck Mississippi type boat that was ever constructed for a model ship building? A freight paddle wheeler.

Artesania Latina has one in programm
King of Mississipi
Intermediate level kit.
Length 27' / Height 10' / Scale 1:80
20505.1.mississippi.jpg

and also Occre with his "Mississipi" also in scale 1:80
14003-mississippi_ing.jpg

But also Mantua had one in their programm
s-l500.jpg

or the
Robert E Lee Wood Model Ship Kit
Historic Scale Wooden Model Ship Kit by Constructo Ship Model
Length 25.2″ Height 12″ Width 7.25″ Scale 1:48 Advanced Level

Robert-E-Lee-web.jpg

@Uwek, I think you misunderstood my quarry.
Way to many decks! I'm looking for a single freight deck or maybe two decks at most. A freight sternwheeler.

Now, where can I find a flat bottom riverboat hull that I can scratch from?
Thanks,

Last edited:
@Uwek, I think you misunderstood my quarry.
Way to many decks! I'm looking for a single freight deck or maybe two decks at most. A freight sternwheeler.

Now, where can I find a flat bottom riverboat hull that I can scratch from?
Thanks,
Sorry for the misunderstanding - just checked it once more
Seems, that you are right - only either railroad-scales or some cardboard model kits available

I've been doing a little window shopping and found that, "The King of the Mississippi", model is the cheapest out there. I'll buy that one for less than $200 and kit-bash it to my liking. Thanks, all,

A while back, I found a book or some material, (it was a while back and barely remember) that had a catalog of paddle boats and plans going way back in history. I guess have to drag out google again.

Hallo Donald,
Dated with the copyright of 1984, the German M.H. Mueller has made a catalog of Mississippi Riverboats.
With a lot of information about the history of the Mississippi / the Lords /the Races.
And also some kits of the Valley Belle, Bryant's Showboat and the Idlewild.
And the plans for the Indiana, America, Cape Girardeau, Gorden C. Greene, Pacific, Sprague, Belle of Louisville, Omar, Natchez, Robert E. Lee, Buckeye State, Thomas A. Edison, Wild Goose, Far West, Vega, Chaperon and Louisiana.
In that period, he has public a lot under the name DER STEAMBOAT MUELLER.
From him I bought in 1985 the plans-set of the Robert E. Lee (from my build-log) and "The Western River STEAMBOAT CYCLOPEDEUM".
Recently I have searched on the internet, but could not find him anymore.
Here are some thumbnails of some pages out of his catalog.
So, there must be some kits of sternwheelers.

PS:
Some post above, from Uwe, I saw the info of the Robert E. Lee from Constructo. With the scale of 1:48.
I don't know how some (English) country's named the scale, but if it is compare to "original/model", than it is not correct.
The original was 285,5 ft = +/- 87 meter.
By 1:48 you get a model conform this size from John Fryant:
https://steamboats.com/museum/fryant.html
Impressive: 6,5 ft. long. Almost 2 meter!
The hull of my model is 1:1 to the 1:96 drawings of Alan Bates and is 93 cm. Just a little shorter than 1:96.
Measured to the 25.2 inch of the Constructo, it is 64 cm, and that is around 1:135.

Regards, Peter
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

Last edited:
I'm bidding on a riverboat at ebay. The, Artesania Latina 1/80 Scale King of the Mississippi Wooden Model Kit Steamboat. I'm high bidder so far. Well see. (Hopefully, I may acquire it for less that a hundred bucks.)

Here is a list of a few:
The Bertrand is very well documented- there are full plans out there but here is a start:

Yes I have a complete museum with exclusive Mississippi paddle wheel and war ships of the civil war.
Hi all,
cl

Yes I have a complete museum with exclusive Mississippi paddle wheel and war ships of the civil war.

cl
The resave. Col. Lamb. Vicksburg. Ouachita. And several others. I am trying to sell the complete museum. My house is packed with ships that were hand built from scratch by my late father. I have about 110 ships

Way to go Rick!! I seen one on Ebay this morning and thought of you looking for one. Enjoy looking her over, thats one of the best things in life... the smell
of a fresh wooden kit :)

Back