looking to build the titanic

I'm looking to build the titanic but not sure which kit is best.
trumpet, Amati, occur, Mantua, billing.
also like to add led.

I'm looking to build the titanic but not sure which kit is best.
trumpet, Amati, occur, Mantua, billing.
also like to add led.
I'm currently building the Trumpeter kit (Build log on site). Overall, it is not a bad kit, although the hull is missing some detail and there are a few fitment issues in places. Nothing that can't be worked. It comes with LED lighting for the superstructure, which isn't great (yellow LEDs for starters). I'm lighting mine with an assortment of LED strips, SMDs and fibre optics. Also using the KA kit for extra detail. A big con is the price, but it is a very large model at 1/200 scale.

I also built the Academy 1/400 kit some years back. Only real PE back then were railings and didn't light it, but not a bad kit overall for the scale.

The Billings Boats kit is very pricey and apparently has a lot of issues. There are entries in these forums if you search for them.

Good luck with whichever kit you decide upon.

One site that I do not see mentioned is http://www.36ft-dream.com
A good source for details on pipes and lighting, among other things. Just finished an Academy 1/400 Titanic and have another one in my stash for a future build. When my skills, and free time, allow. Good luck with your build.

If this is your first model of the Titanic, then I would seriously consider the 1/400 Academy kit, It’s a nicely detailed model and won’t bust the bank.

The trumpeter 1/200 Titanic is a beast of a model and can frustrate the heck out of you at times, mine is currently back in its box and “not sure when it is going to come back out again”.

Happy modelling.

Beau.

I think the Amati would be my choice. In my experience, the larger the ship you have easier parts to see and the small details are easier to deal with. The smaller the ship, then things become more unrealistic and only represent parts - I think the ONLY reason why they even mention beginner, intermideate, and advance is mostly due to the amount of time it takes to build.
also this

If you decide to go with a 1:400 Academy kit, you definitely need to look into obtaining the Flyhawk Titanic detail set #FH400001. It includes a wooden deck, turned brass bollards and fairleads, plenty of photo sheets to cover windows, davits, etc. as well as resin vents/ventilators and lifeboats. It also has the forward hatch in resin as well. For the scale, it is nicely detailed. throughout. A perfect kit to supplement the amount of photoetch you get with the Academy #14215 Titanic kit. And the model also comes with LED lighting. I’ll be at basic if you’re looking to super detail.
You should be able to get into both, the model and the detail set, for a little over US.$200 total. It may be half the ship but it is a great way to practice your skills at a finer level before investing in a project that is twice the size And five times a price.

Back