L'ORIENT scale 1/64 by Michel

Good morning all,
I begin today the construction of the ship L'Orient at 1/64 according to the monograph by Gérard Delacroix.
Why 1/64? Because I had the wood needed to do it on this scale.
A photo of the very beginning of the construction site ....
See you soon,
Michel

P1000013.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a really big ship with a huge number of guns on several decks...... so also in scale 1:64 it will be still a very big model

For the members, which do not know the ship - The L´Orient was a "sistership" of the Commerce de Marseille, which was a 118-gunner (1788)

You can find infos about the planset from Gerard @G. DELACROIX here:

I am looking forward to see your work on this project - Jim, I will sponsor the chips and dips, please reserve for me a chair next to you Beer

Thank you for your encouragement. Yes Uwe ca makes a good big ship that takes less space than 1/48. The dimensions of the frame are not thin (the equivalent of the Fleuron at 1/48).
Tomorrow, continuation of the axial framework and beginning of couples.
See you soon.

Con molto piacere seguirò con intersse questo nuovo lavoro , ottima scelta e gran bel modello . Complimenti e buon lavoro .

google translation:
With great pleasure I will follow with interest this new job, excellent choice and great model. Congratulations and good work

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just checking the dimensions of the model, and it is really a big one:

The model’s dimensions (L x W x H) are as follow (1:48 scale):
Hull only: 1.60 m x 0.36 m x 0.43 m
Hull with masts and yards: 2.07 m x 0.80 m x 1.50 m

this means in the planned scale of 1:64:
Hull only: 1.20 m x 0.27 m x 0.33 m
Hull with masts and yards: 1,55 m x 0.60 m x 1,13 m

The original drawing set of the Commerce de Marseille has 34 drawings - so it is big order to your copy-shop for the reduction to your necessary scale of 1:64 - a lot of square meters of paper

Back