Lost parts.

Does anyone else seem to spend half their time building a model, and the other half crawling around the floor looking for the part they just dropped. Mine always seem to show up just after I have finished making the replacement part.

Does anyone else seem to spend half their time building a model, and the other half crawling around the floor looking for the part they just dropped. Mine always seem to show up just after I have finished making the replacement part.
You are not alone in this. I have the same thing. ROTF

Sounds very familiar...

Using a dremel or losing a grip on the hemostats..... I like it when the bounce off a couple walls. ding.....ding,,,,,,, gone....!

Oh Ja
I am often on my knees, havin a flash light in the hands and try to find this small part.
A little bit helping is a parquet floor - credible is a carpet (warm for the feet, but a graveyard for parts)
and regular vacuum cleaning of the floor, otherwise it is like searching for a (special) tree in the forest

ICH AUCH, UWE!

I have spent hours looking for that 2mm block or whatever in he carpet with a flashlight. Usually, 2-3 parts are lost, then you find them days later while searching for the fourth part. I went dumpster diving into the vacuum cleaner lint bag once or twice. Sometimes it's just faster to scratch build a replacement part. Sometimes are part can never be found. I imagine it goes where all the left socks from the laundry go when they are missing. Rumor has it that those socks go to Heathrow Airport. I'll have to visit England and check on that...

I have theory about time-space, which is subject to a lot of quantum granularity, causing time-space vortices to form. By their nature, these vortices are denser than regular time-space so they tend to settle around the floor and in corners. They also come in three varieties: Past, present and future. If a small part lands in a “present” vortex, you will find it immediately. If it lands in a “future” vortex, you can search and search, but you will never find it until you perceived time catches up and it ’appears’ again. If it goes into a ”past” vortex, it is gone forever and no amount of searching will avail.

I have theory about time-space, which is subject to a lot of quantum granularity, causing time-space vortices to form. By their nature, these vortices are denser than regular time-space so they tend to settle around the floor and in corners. They also come in three varieties: Past, present and future. If a small part lands in a “present” vortex, you will find it immediately. If it lands in a “future” vortex, you can search and search, but you will never find it until you perceived time catches up and it ’appears’ again. If it goes into a ”past” vortex, it is gone forever and no amount of searching will avail.
And its all gone now because, as we all know, the spaces below our desks/tables are Black Holes.....stuff goes in, and never comes out. It all becomes anti-matter which will, someday, go onto a ship that moves with sails!

Last edited:
I really do enjoy this subject. We are all " IN THE SAME BOAT" as the saying goes.:)

We are a grouy of people interested in model ships and model building in general. Model ship building is not our total life we all have many interests, this is a subect that has cropped up in the past on a number of forms.
what strikes me
yesterday i spent hours looking for a part i made. I started on the stern of the Tecumseth and spent hours making a part and it vanished so today i will remake it. Then i log on and see this post.

an interest of mine is what i call "fringe science" things that i know happened but can not figure out how, this was not a little tiny part that can fall into a crack this part was 6 inches long 1/2 wide and 3/16 thick. This is not the first time it happened.

Charles Fort was made fun of and now what he wrote about is actually being taken serious by science.

Charles Fort. I've read what's out there and I'm truly not sure where he was on the spectrum ranging from "dead serious"
to "completely pulling all our legs". It's a question I don't have the answer to. Curiously, that's the precise theme that ran through all
of Fort's writing: not knowing the answer. Conjectures, speculations, hypotheses, and knowing only one thing for sure: anyone claiming to
have the exact answer is almost certainly wrong. For me, that's the most significant takeaway from Fort's contribution to the twentieth
century: not a collection of bizarre events unexplained by science, but an attitude of questioning our own observations, and even more
importantly, ourselves.

I finally covered the floor with white vinyl tiles. Most parts I can now see pretty clearly, but if not, I just use my wifes wet swiffer floor cleaner. Even tiny PE bits stick to it. When the pad is removed from the tool, I lay it on the bench and with my vision enhancers on, can find the little bits. These are 1/700 ship and aircraft parts.

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

Yes, been on my knees searching and praying or at least cursing. A corollary is the tiny part that disappears in your hands like a coin trick done by a magician: you see the coin and now you don’t. In my case the tiny part was the port anchor of a ship called Lusitania. Painted part, dry, ready to go. Tiny tiny amount of glue, replace the lid on the glue, and no more part. Hard to make another one! So bending, bowing down and after the aforementioned cursing… hands dirty so I need to have a wash..and..there she sits, proud and shiny like a new ornamental broach..glued to my jumper at chest height. So, check your clothes too.

Back