Lynx by Panart [Completed Build]

Finally the part that I love most the rigging, well somewhat rigging. Got the foremast started, the lower section is set in place and started the shrouds. When it come time to put the back stays on I'll attach the top level of the foremast. Did something different on this one that I domt normally do, I seized the whole shroud line. View attachment 322333View attachment 322334View attachment 322335View attachment 322336View attachment 322337View attachment 322338View attachment 322339
Good morning Derek. Very nice! Those red cannon work well with the colours. I was concerned when I first saw you painting them red, however works brilliantly. Cheers Grant

Good morning Derek. Very nice! Those red cannon work well with the colours. I was concerned when I first saw you painting them red, however works brilliantly.
You and me both Grant. I used the flat red by valio. The pics make them look brighter than they really are maybe I need to take some outside pics to see if there is any difference

I looked at the sail plan photo back at the start of this thread and this thing is drawn there, which obviously answers the question.
I've studied and worked on traditional sailing craft since I was 16; I helped build and crewed a real Baltimore Clipper, I'm building an RC Baltimore Clipper, I have a library of books regarding Baltimore Clippers; I even lived in Baltimore for a couple of decades - never once saw such a thing on any boat anywhere, Baltimore Clipper or not.
I realize it's a kit, and kit makers have a knack for inventing parts that never existed in life, because they can't read plans or interpret images, what have you, but this is just plain silly. What hat did they pull this out of?

Did the instructions give this thing a name?

Last edited:
I looked at the sail plan photo back at the start of this thread and this thing drawn there, which obviously answers the question.
I've studied and worked on traditional sailing craft since I was 16; I helped build and crewed a real Baltimore Clipper, I'm building an RC Baltimore Clipper, I have a library of books regarding Baltimore Clippers; I even lived in Baltimore for a couple of decades - never once saw such a thing on any boat anywhere, Baltimore Clipper or not.
I realize it's a kit, and kit makers have a knack for inventing parts that never existed in life, because they can't read plans or interpret images, what have you, but this is just plain silly. What hat did they pull this out of?

That's a very good question. The plans are very lacking that's for sure. I'm glad this is the only kit I have from panart or any of the mantua sister companies. The written instructions are very lacking and then the plan drawings are even more lacking. When I get back home from work I'll take a pic of the drawings

It’s called a jibboom. seems they were not uncommon on schooners of that period, but not ubiquitous either. It doesn’t appear the contemporary Lynx has one, which was based on the Admiralty drawings made when the original was taken prize.

Melbourne Smith’s painting of Lynx doesn’t have a jibboom, but Ray Langdon’s model does. Perhaps Panart based their kit on the latter?

Last edited:
I looked at the sail plan photo back at the start of this thread and this thing is drawn there, which obviously answers the question.

Here you can see from the replica of the lynx that has this jib boom .Screenshot_20220809-190158_Gallery.jpg

Here you can see from the replica of the lynx that has this jib boom .View attachment 322645
Actually, here’s another photo from America’s Privateer which shows more clearly the absence of a jibboom:
59DAFB6E-9753-4357-9E94-C0F8B29ABCEE.jpeg
Compare that to the painting of the original:
6D7EAE61-CCD9-4170-B90E-36E12B72F9E6.jpegAnd the model:
A0A3BDED-A73C-4B14-90A3-64CF7157E377.jpeg
You can see the extended jibboom in the latter that doesn’t appear on the current ship or in the painting.

Does it mean Panart’s kit is wrong? I don’t think so. Perhaps if we could consult the original admiralty drawings we might find out, but I think it’s safe to say the presence of a jibboom is more than a flight of fancy on Panart’s part. It’s most certainly plausible.

For my part, I tend to blend accuracy with visual appeal in my modeling, and I think the addition of a jibboom on your model definitely adds to the latter. It’s your model so the real question is: do you like it? If the answer is YES, then this whole discussion is quite moot.

Lynx on, Mate. Lynx on.

Actually, here’s another photo from America’s Privateer which shows more clearly the absence of a jibboom:
View attachment 322650
Compare that to the painting of the original:
View attachment 322651And the model:
View attachment 322652
You can see the extended jibboom in the latter that doesn’t appear on the current ship or in the painting.

Does it mean Panart’s kit is wrong? I don’t think so. Perhaps if we could consult the original admiralty drawings we might find out, but I think it’s safe to say the presence of a jibboom is more than a flight of fancy on Panart’s part. It’s most certainly plausible.

For my part, I tend to blend accuracy with visual appeal in my modeling, and I think the addition of a jibboom on your model definitely adds to the latter. It’s your model so the real question is: do you like it? If the answer is YES, then this whole discussion is quite moot.

Lynx on, Mate. Lynx on.
It definitely seemed kinda weird at first but it has grown on me.

I can’t recall if the master of Lynx said they have 13 sails or 18, but it was alot, which blew me away. With that many, I can see a use for a jibboom.

Last edited:
There's a bowsprit and a jib-boom, and then that thing hanging under the jib-boom by the two brass eyes.
In the last pic Namabiiru posted there's a third spar - that's a flying-jib-boom
The "replica" (which actually isn't a replica, but that's another discussion) doesn't have a flying-jib-boom, just bowspit (black part) and jib-boom (bare-wood part).

Melbourne Smith's "painting" shows the jib-boom going all the way back to the rail, which is even worst than the carved trail-boards that were not a feature of Baltimore Clippers, but then, Smith was no historian, or an artist for that matter. These were the PT boats of the war of 1812, quick, dangerous, and cheap. They weren't fancy or decorated. Writings about them, including the actual Lynx, say the closest thing to decoration on most was the name painted on the stern, and some color along the sheer.

Here's the original Pride of Baltimore's wiskers, a Thomas Gilmer design. The thing hanging under the jib-boom is the furled flying jib. The jib is furled on top of the jib-boom, and the fore-stay-sail is furled on top of the bowsprit.
1980sc.jpg

Jerry,
All good points, and I stand corrected on the name of the flying jib boom.

Not my intention to assert that Lynx did have a flying jibboom, merely my opinion (emphasis on that word) that's it's not implausible. Considering the contemporary Lynx (as you correctly point out is not a replica) is roughly 20 ft shorter than the original, it's possible that she might not need so much sail as the original (although she still has a lot!), and therefore the lack of a flying Jib (and boom) on the contemporary may or may not signify anything at all.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by laced. It's not a bad model by any means but the instructions are lacking extremely bad though. I definitely would suggest that this one not be your 1
Not sure what you mean by laced. It's not a bad model by any means but the instructions are lacking extremely bad though. I definitely would suggest that this one not be your 1st
It looks like the planks on the bow are laid in differently. Thank you for the input on the kit.

Last edited:
Gibby, you've done a nice job of working with what was given to you.
I put together kits, and restored old models for a friends shop. Of the 30 or so kits I built/finished/repaired, even the best ones had things that would make a sailor's eye twitch. ;)
I'm primarily a scratch builder because they don't offer kits of the boats I want to build, as a result I have only myself to blame when I get something wrong.

Click on the signal flags in my signature to see some of my stumbling in progress...

Back