Machinist Tool Chest Build

Donnie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Le Rochefort Moderator

Here are some images of an almost completed Machinist Tool Chest that I have been working on during winter months. Seems like it is taking forever to complete this. All of this has been built from scratch. I did draw up some plans to get an idea, but I departed from them greatly, and as a matter of fact, just went completely intuitively on it as things "changed" as I went along. I did not take any build log images as to be honest, this project was just too agonizing to do so. I did not know what I was getting into until after I built the drawers and then had to get the drawers to fit the way they should. I just got to the point that I am ready to just hurry up and get this one done. I plan to "turn" my own knobs out of brass and call this thing done!

machinist tool chest_1.jpgmachinist tool chest_2.jpgmachinist tool chest_3.jpg

Hi Donnie, this is just the thing I need to bring more order into the chaos I have on my desk (modelling).
Any chance of dimensions please then I can make my own with some variation/s.
Regards
Eric

Eric,
I almost fell out of my chair when I read that you want measurements !!! :eek:

Let me catch my senses and breath here. Ok, so you want measurements huh !?

Well, I am at my office and I thought I had those drawings on my global dropbox account. they must be on my pc at home. I do not mind at all sharing those with you. Actually, I am flattered that anyone would be interested. I will say that the drawing is accurate as far as "concept" goes, but the measurements may differ in about + / - (.25 inches or so or 4mm)

each sliding rail were all individually sanded down for drawers to slide in and out. BUT, we are only talking about shaving off about 2mm or 1 mm to make the drawer work good without binding.

I see now why Gertsner charges so much for their wooden machinist chest. Also, I am sure that their drawers have a very low tolerance on parts fitment due to mass production.

If you do not have any CAD program, then I will convert the drawing into a PDF for you. I will look into the measurements as well. The drawers were made out of Red Oak from Home Depot here in USA. they had a crate full of clearance pieces that were about 6" wide x 1/2" thick by 18" long. So I bought almost all of them - about 30 pieces. They were only a few bucks a piece. the joints for the drawers was a simple rabbet. Near the bottom I routed a 1/8" slot all the way around so that a 1/8" piece of MDF would act as the drawer bottom. Each drawer has a felt lining. The felt was a very hard stiff felt. Just give me a while and I will post what I can.

Thanks for asking !
Donnie

Ok Eric,
this is crazy. I know that I drew up some plans. I have a concept that I will attach, but it has no dimensions and is basically useless. I know I have the drawings as I took the drawing to my office as I have a huge plotter there and printed out the 1:1 scale.
If I cannot find, then I will measure the drawers, etc and dim it out for you somehow or another.

Donnie

Thanks for that Donnie, don't bust your valve looking for dimensions, I should be able to gauge something from your photos. If I have a problem I will call.
regards
Eric

Thank you all for your interest in this on going project. Well, it is done -- now about 6 months later. I thought I would never ever finish this thing. I just got to the point that I felt like I was just throwing this thing together just to make something work out so I could call it quits. Well, for what ever it is worth, it is done. Mistakes galore !

Thanks for looking.

For any of those that might want to know, I (SOS) will be at the N.A.M.E.S. April 18 - 19. That is the North American Model Engineering Society Expo. If any of you happen to go, let me know via email and we can make plans to meet up there. donnie[at]shipsofscale.com
Details:
I look forward to seeing you at the 26th Annual Model Engineering Exposition which will be held April 18-19, 2015 at the Yack Arena, in Wyandotte, Michigan.

Last edited:
Back