Magnifying glasses for wooden ship modeling.

I've been using some basic reading glasses for now but in looking for something better, I'm getting a bit overwhelmed by everything out there. Hoping some ideas from the forum will help me zero in something since it will no doubt be something I need to order and I hate playing the return game.

Something wearable that's not too cumbersome and easily removed, a light of some kind would be OK but not really that important.

Much appreciated.

Charles

Do the lenses or the visor flip up on those?

Never mind, I saw where the lenses flip up.

Also, I noticed it says they're ideal for people who wear glasses, I don't wear glasses, but that doesn't matter, right?

If you wear glasses you remove the side pieces and use the headband. I have a pair and just like anything else it takes a little getting used to. I really like to LED light.

Ron

walmart, maginifying glasses up to 3.5X. $9.99 3pair per package. I have 'em scattered everywhere.

I use both magnifying glasses and a head set like others use. When I need the extra magnification I use the head set that adds magnification to the glasses for fine details.

I have been using Optivisor for over 50 years. Every doctor I know uses them too. You can get them on ebay ,the real ones, for $35 & up. I would only buy the real Optivisor. They have lens from 2 power up to over 7. I have 2,3,4,& 5 & am using 5 to build now, &3 to read. Of course my eyes are going at over 90.
Gene

I've been using some basic reading glasses for now but in looking for something better, I'm getting a bit overwhelmed by everything out there. Hoping some ideas from the forum will help me zero in something since it will no doubt be something I need to order and I hate playing the return game.

Something wearable that's not too cumbersome and easily removed, a light of some kind would be OK but not really that important.

Much appreciated.

Charles
I had an older version of the glasses in the link below. Unfortunately, they cracked under the unrelenting force of my wide melon head. The new version is like 21 USD, 5 LEDs AND rechargeable batteries, which was the deciding factor in my purchase. The have a maximum magnification of 4.5X which meets any requirement I will have. Additionally, they do not put much pressure on the bridge of the nose after long periods of use, the one issue I had with the older version. I do recommend them.

Cheers,
Ken

You might want to take a look at the B&L Stereozoom Binocular Model 3 and 4 Microscopes available used only on ebay. I have used them for 20 years to build practically everything on ship models at 1/48. Cost varies depending upon who is selling and when. These tools open up an entirely new universe of capabilities.
Contact me if you have any questions.

Back