Maine Peapod 1:14 Model Expo Build log. [COMPLETED BUILD]

This will be my second build log. I have already completed the Grand Banks Dory and Norwegian Sailing Pram. I saw the Peapod at half price so I picked it up. According to the instruction manual, the peapods originated in Maine in the 1800's and were used for one man lobster work until the 1930's.

The Peapod came in a nice box
IMG_8478.jpeg

Unboxing it revealed an instruction manual, a rolled plan sheet, several laser cut basswood sheets, stripwood and a few metal castings. One cute casting was a metal lobster. One mistake I noticed in the instructions is where they have an stripwood identification guide which is a great idea. One of the pictures of a 1/8"X1/8" strip is labeled as 1/8"x1/16". The instruction otherwise look very complete and understandable

IMG_8479.jpeg

I then went about construction the building jig, using the laser cut forms along with a building board that was supplied. While CA was promoted as an adhesive, I decided to use PVA (Elmer's carpenter glue) as it gives me more time to align things. The parts were lightly sanded to remove most of the char produced when the parts were formed using the laser. I marked the center lines of the parts and, using the plans I marked when the forms were to be placed. I used a metal square to ensure the forms were square to the building board.

IMG_8481.jpeg

IMG_8482.jpeg

I fitted the bottom plank and stems onto the build board. There I had my first problem. The notches on the forms of the build board were not sufficiently deep for the stems to touch the bottom where they were to be temporarily attached.

IMG_8484.jpegIMG_8485.jpeg

Using my trusty xacto knife and a small file I deepened the notches until the plank and stems fit properly and then, using PVA, I glued the stems to the building board. I made sure the stems were centered onto the building board. There was a small amount of "torque" with one stem wanting to sit to one side of the center. I used some push pins and rubber bands to hold things in place as the glue set.
IMG_8486.jpegIMG_8487.jpeg

Now for my first row of planking. I beveled the end of two planks as suggested. I then laid the planks temporarily along the forms. Not surprisingly, there was some resistance of the planks to follow the curve. I decided to preform the planks using hot waster as I have done in the past with the Grand banks Dory and Norwegian Sailing Pram. I soaked the planks in hot water for about 5 minutes then set them in place using modified binder clips to keep them tight along the forms.

IMG_8488.jpeg

Once the planks had dried, I marked the other ends. I then cut them to length and beveled them. Both ends of the planks were glued using PVA glue to the stems.
IMG_8489.jpeg

Slowly building up the planking by beveling the end on the stem. I then soaked the planks and fitted it to the frame securing them with the modified binder clips. I then trimmed and beveled the other end and let it dry in place. Once dried I glued it in place, using PVA to glue the planks against the stems and also adhering it to the plank below. I am careful not to allow glue on the frames.
img_8490-jpeg.434354

IMG_8490.jpeg

Building up the hull. This picture shows the front where the planks attach to the stems. You can see how beveling the planks allow for a smooth transition from the stem to the planks. This will of course be sanded even smoother. I am sure the planking will get more difficult the nearer I get to the keel.
Rob

IMG_8494.jpeg

IMG_8494.jpeg

Back