Make your rope on a rope walk

I thought it might be best to keep all this in one thread. I have some Aman Serafil tex 10 that I really like but for larger ropes it takes a lot of strands and I needed a different color for standing rigging. I ordered Aman Serafil Tex 70 and it works fine but the smallest rope I can make is .65mm(.026"). I'm thinking tex 30 or 40 may be better but it's only available in Aman Saba. Has anyone used both Saba and Serafil and noticed a difference?
Thanks

When you use only serafil, it takes a lot of strands to make rope, for example 1,5 mm more then 50 in total. But I can tell you that the extra work pay's of in a piece of rope that looks like his big brother in real. Using thicker yarn don't give this effect. It is okay but for the perfectionist not enough. It's a choice.
There are builders that use one color of yarn and use Judea Bitune to make it darker. That's what I will experience in future.

I do have a bunch of pine pitch that I used for archery stuff. I could try that. A color match would be tough(lucky). It would take so many strands of Tex 10 to make a .070" main stay that I'm thinking I'll stay with the brown Tex 70 for at least stays and shrouds. So far I have beige(1222) Tex 10 and dark brown(264) Tex 70. I suppose a beige Tex 70 and a brown Tex 10 would fill any need but I just thought that a Tex 30-40 would fill the gap but I'm unsure if the Saba makes as nice rope as the Serafil.

Good news and bad news. I went out and dipped a length of 4x3 Serafil Tex 10 in my bottle of Pine pitch and wiped off the excess. The color matches the Serafil Tex 70 color 264 almost perfectly :) :) :). It dried in less than a minute and doesn't wipe off on your hands. It doesn't feel sticky at all. The bad news is that this pitch is over ten years old and I can't remember everything I did to make it. So I can't give anyone the recipe. I know I harvested dry, hard pitch from Lodgepole Pine and then dissolved it in paint reducer. Actually what I was originally using it for was wound paste for pruning my bonsai, not archery. Over the years the mix dried out in the bottle and so just recently I softened it up with lacquer thinner. During all that time it turned dark brown. As you can see in the picture it's a little shiny but it is very fresh and time will tell.

DSC04727.JPG

Good news and bad news. I went out and dipped a length of 4x3 Serafil Tex 10 in my bottle of Pine pitch and wiped off the excess. The color matches the Serafil Tex 70 color 264 almost perfectly :) :) :). It dried in less than a minute and doesn't wipe off on your hands. It doesn't feel sticky at all. The bad news is that this pitch is over ten years old and I can't remember everything I did to make it. So I can't give anyone the recipe. I know I harvested dry, hard pitch from Lodgepole Pine and then dissolved it in paint reducer. Actually what I was originally using it for was wound paste for pruning my bonsai, not archery. Over the years the mix dried out in the bottle and so just recently I softened it up with lacquer thinner. During all that time it turned dark brown. As you can see in the picture it's a little shiny but it is very fresh and time will tell.

View attachment 354047
hi, try with this product "ANILINE ANILINE MORDENT WATER DYE COLORING WOOD SOLUBLE DYE COLORS" to boil with water and immerse the rope

Hello,can anyone help me I’m trying to find a supplier for some Guterman E thread in the size E121 and E151.I’ve looked everywhere with no luck.

Hello,can anyone help me I’m trying to find a supplier for some Guterman E thread in the size E121 and E151.I’ve looked everywhere with no luck.
Yes, please. Pretty please. With Sugar on top. I am facing the same dilemma. E-121 is really the best for scale ropemaking because it is a monofilament that has no twist to it.

Try gütermann in Germany. Amazon also supplies Gütermann thread (garn).
Trevor.
Do you have a specific website? From here all I can find is the corporate Gutermann website which doesn't have a retail shop.

www.etsy.com
Just Google gutermann E121 or E151. Lots of shops in Europe or UK

Hi thanks for everyone’s help,but I really need a website that sells the gutermann E121 and E152 in the coulors tan number 186 and black 000 I’ve looked at a dozen sites with no luck.someone posted a link for the black but only in size E121 would prefer to buy all from one website to save money.I think a website from Europe will be the best place to find.

I plan on selling this thread at some point since it's hard to get anywhere but directly from warehouses. There was an online store in Germany that had all the sizes and colors available but that closed down.

Looks like I'll have to make a larger order this month.

BenD,could you please order some extra spools I will buy them of you. what size spools do you buy?im looking at buying the tan(186) black(000)and maybe the brown(696) all in the sizes of e121 and e151.

Same here, I could use some 722 and 696 of both. I'm willing to buy multiple spools if necessary to meet a minimum quantity, since I know I could sell them later.

Back