Making Your Own Ropes.

I'm planning on purchasing the Syren Rope Walk. What is the best poly/cotton blend threads for making ropes? I am currently building the Caldercraft HMS Victory and the ZHL Bonhomme Richard.

Cotton, and polyester seem to be the most common these days. Polyester rope is made the same way as cotton or blends but can take some getting used to as it unwinds like mad if it is not knotted or melted on the ends. Heating it with a hot air gun tends to harden this rope and make it easier to work with. Cotton is still the main museum acceptable material and it really is a good material for making rope. For sources there is Gutermann Mara polyester thread and Aurifil cotton thread. I am sure there are more and I would bet there are members here that have a lot more experience in making rope that can give the benefit of their own experience.

Allan

Good Moring, I have been making rope for my last three projects. I went to a sewing store and found "Maxi-Lock" the 3000 yd. spool comes in many colors and works well. I have a Model Expo ropewalk and the twist stays together well. Good luck Ragnar

+1 for the Gutermann E threads. They are some of the best polyesters I have ever worked with. The spools only come in that large 10km size so they are expensive. But that means they will make you a few hundred meters or a lifetime supply of scale model rope.

You can find other types like Guterman Skala to be excellent. Also, Gutermann cotton thread is nice stuff. You can find them at https://www.wawak.com/

Last edited:
You can find other types like Guterman Skala to be excellent.
I can't say anything about Guterman Skala 240 threads, but I didn't like Guterman Skala 360 threads, they are too thin, which makes them hard to work with, and for some unknown reason, ropes whiter than 0.6 mm turn out to be unevenly twisted. It is poorly visible in the photo, but in nature it is clear that the rope is not evenly twisted.

IMG_20240928_220951_814.jpg

IMG_20240928_221405_862.jpg

I can't say anything about Guterman Skala 240 threads, but I didn't like Guterman Skala 360 threads, they are too thin, which makes them hard to work with, and for some unknown reason, ropes whiter than 0.6 mm turn out to be unevenly twisted. It is poorly visible in the photo, but in nature it is clear that the rope is not evenly twisted.
The uneven texture/bumps you are encountering are because you need more pressure on the strands while twisting and laying them up. Skala can handle quite a lot of weight.

All good information, thank you! Question: What is a recommended or good length to make your ropes in? It would seem that a table of 3-4 meters would be needed and I do not have the room for that long of a table. Cheers!

All good information, thank you! Question: What is a recommended or good length to make your ropes in? It would seem that a table of 3-4 meters would be needed and I do not have the room for that long of a table. Cheers!
I have a vertical cable car, the height of the doorway for 1/72 scale models is quite long enough for me.

IMG_20240929_115428_334.jpg

View attachment 473769

View attachment 473770
@Winter , what is the color code of the ropes you show in your last picture? is it the 464?

I have seen in some posts that people wrap the rope around a can and heat the rope in the oven at low heat. Do you find a need for that as well?
Heat-treating rope will help them from unraveling. It does make them more stiff and difficult to use. Don't go over 300F and don't leave them in there for more than a few minutes.

The only question is what will happen after the "roasting" with the rigging in 10-20-30 years.
When they make the polyester thread it starts as pellets and is heated and stretched into small fibers. I have seen one process that used chemicals.

I would expect Quality products like Gutermann to have a long life regardless.

Back