• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

Making your own Ropes

Hi Krill, first of all I tell you that I don't have any E151 or E382 to test, so my answer is deducted from the algorithm of my machine. The E151, in my calculation, is about 0,132mm in diameter, so a 3x2 recipe, in my evaluation, it should give you a rope of about 0,35mm.
But, as I told before, I don't have any way to test it on the field.
I also assume that a difference of 0,03mm is something absolutely normal in these experimental measurements.
Hi Lorenzo. I'm unable to measure the thickness of such threads, thanks for returning this value. Would you also happen to know, or estimate, the thickness of E121 and E382?
In order to establish a correlation with my E121 results, I've weighted a length of the three threads (20m each) in order to establish their linear mass which I then used to determine a ratio between the threads.

As for the resulting thickness of the rope, it's also kinda hard to make a precise measurement (at least, I can't) with a caliper. Therefore what I normally do is I pinch the rope on two points simultaneously. Not too hard, nor to soft. Then I gently wiggle the rope free from the jaws. The value I read is what I choose to lable the rope with. Give or take, +-0.03mm of range I suppose. Value that is quite irrelevant I think.
 
Hi Lorenzo. I'm unable to measure the thickness of such threads, thanks for returning this value. Would you also happen to know, or estimate, the thickness of E121 and E382?
In order to establish a correlation with my E121 results, I've weighted a length of the three threads (20m each) in order to establish their linear mass which I then used to determine a ratio between the threads.

As for the resulting thickness of the rope, it's also kinda hard to make a precise measurement (at least, I can't) with a caliper. Therefore what I normally do is I pinch the rope on two points simultaneously. Not too hard, nor to soft. Then I gently wiggle the rope free from the jaws. The value I read is what I choose to lable the rope with. Give or take, +-0.03mm of range I suppose. Value that is quite irrelevant I think.
To measure the thickness of the threads one trick it to wrap the threads 10 or 20 times around a dowel or pencil measure the diameter of the wrap and divide by 10 or 20.

Rob
 
Last edited:
Hi Lorenzo. I'm unable to measure the thickness of such threads, thanks for returning this value. Would you also happen to know, or estimate, the thickness of E121 and E382?
In order to establish a correlation with my E121 results, I've weighted a length of the three threads (20m each) in order to establish their linear mass which I then used to determine a ratio between the threads.

As for the resulting thickness of the rope, it's also kinda hard to make a precise measurement (at least, I can't) with a caliper. Therefore what I normally do is I pinch the rope on two points simultaneously. Not too hard, nor to soft. Then I gently wiggle the rope free from the jaws. The value I read is what I choose to lable the rope with. Give or take, +-0.03mm of range I suppose. Value that is quite irrelevant I think.
E121 is about 0,1mm theoretical (I measured 0,15) The E382 should be 0,19mm (theoretical, I don't have it). To measure the diameters I wind 100 (or 200 for thin threads) turns side by side on a cylindrical support and measure the lenght covered. I can easily do it with my machine, else it should be a waste of time.
 
Back
Top