Mantua/Sergal President MA792 1:60

The new kit arrived a few days ago, and after swapping the workbench over from electronics shop to shipyard, I'm ready to start build #2!

IMG_2568.JPG

IMG_2569.JPG

President was actually my second choice, as I really wanted to build Thermopylae, but it was persistently our of stock, so I gave in to the itch and purchased President. Of course, right after, Thermopylae was once again available :rolleyes:. Oh, well, this looks promising anyway.

IMG_2570.JPG

Definitely more complex than Polaris, but I wanted to step up the challenge factor. I know another build log of this kit said that their pieces were warped on arrival, but I found these to be be perfectly acceptable. The biggest issue was that the slots in the false keel for the bulkheads were all too tight, so I had to file down every single slot. I left them still quite tight, but at least able to be fully seated, which was not possible at first.

IMG_2571.JPG
IMG_2572.JPG

As you can see in the previous two photos, the wells for the masts were also undersized. A little touch-up with the file solved that:

IMG_2573.JPG
IMG_2574.JPG

Every slot and mast well on the sub-deck had to be enlarged as well. Since I couldn't dry fit it all the way down due to the different heights of the bulkheads, I took measurements with my caliper and transferred the measurements. Again, I left them snug.

IMG_2576.JPG

Finally, due to the tightness of the slots, I used a small hammer and a piece of wooden dowel to gradually drive it into place until fully seated:

IMG_2578.JPG

I made sure to check that the holes in the sub-deck line up with mast wells in the false keel, and touched up accordingly. This is definitely taking more effort to come together than the first kit, but in the long run, I feel that it is experience that will serve me well later on. Based on another build log of this same kit, I am thinking about filling the bow and stern with balsa to help with shaping the hull for planking.

Hey all,

Sorry about the lack of updates on this build. I've had several projects hit the ol' workbench in rapid succession, most fairly time-sensitive. Probably gonna be sporadic through the end of the year, then hopefully I can get back to it in earnest. Really want to see this come together, but timing is just not on my side at this point.

Hey all,

Sorry about the lack of updates on this build. I've had several projects hit the ol' workbench in rapid succession, most fairly time-sensitive. Probably gonna be sporadic through the end of the year, then hopefully I can get back to it in earnest. Really want to see this come together, but timing is just not on my side at this point.
You are not alone with this problem - so take your time - and we will wait and will look forward to see an update in future

Thought I might share one of the projects that's been keeping me out of the shipyard lately. It's a 3-D printed haunted house incorporating a Pepper's Ghost effect I made for my grandkids. LOTS of 3-D printed parts that had to be produced, painted and put together. I think it turned out pretty well!

The new kit arrived a few days ago, and after swapping the workbench over from electronics shop to shipyard, I'm ready to start build #2!

President was actually my second choice, as I really wanted to build Thermopylae, but it was persistently our of stock, so I gave in to the itch and purchased President. Of course, right after, Thermopylae was once again available :rolleyes:. Oh, well, this looks promising anyway.

Definitely more complex than Polaris, but I wanted to step up the challenge factor. I know another build log of this kit said that their pieces were warped on arrival, but I found these to be be perfectly acceptable. The biggest issue was that the slots in the false keel for the bulkheads were all too tight, so I had to file down every single slot. I left them still quite tight, but at least able to be fully seated, which was not possible at first.
As you can see in the previous two photos, the wells for the masts were also undersized. A little touch-up with the file solved that:
Every slot and mast well on the sub-deck had to be enlarged as well. Since I couldn't dry fit it all the way down due to the different heights of the bulkheads, I took measurements with my caliper and transferred the measurements. Again, I left them snug.

Finally, due to the tightness of the slots, I used a small hammer and a piece of wooden dowel to gradually drive it into place until fully seated:

I made sure to check that the holes in the sub-deck line up with mast wells in the false keel, and touched up accordingly. This is definitely taking more effort to come together than the first kit, but in the long run, I feel that it is experience that will serve me well later on. Based on another build log of this same kit, I am thinking about filling the bow and stern with balsa to help with shaping the hull for planking.
Hallo @Xmtrdude
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
And? What is about your president project?

Hallo @Xmtrdude
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Thank you!

And? What is about your president project?

Funny you should ask. I was just about to start posting again. Unfortunately, I have found the President kit to be somewhat... problematic. As I have seen others note, the materials included in the kit, mainly the hull planks, are VERY difficult to work with. They tend to crack at the least provocation, and are therefore difficult to bend for fitting, even when being generous with the water and heat application, and going slowly. Furthermore, I have been less than impressed with the fit and finish of some of the other parts as well, leading me to believe that this kit will require some modifications that I don't feel my current skill level would be able to properly address. Because of this, I have decided to put this one on hold for now, and move on to something that, while still challenging me to further my abilities, will offer a better experience. I will be starting a new thread about it soon, as I have only just begun the build. I do intend at some point in the future to return to the President, as I hate to leave projects unfinished.

Thank you!

Funny you should ask. I was just about to start posting again. Unfortunately, I have found the President kit to be somewhat... problematic. As I have seen others note, the materials included in the kit, mainly the hull planks, are VERY difficult to work with. They tend to crack at the least provocation, and are therefore difficult to bend for fitting, even when being generous with the water and heat application, and going slowly. Furthermore, I have been less than impressed with the fit and finish of some of the other parts as well, leading me to believe that this kit will require some modifications that I don't feel my current skill level would be able to properly address. Because of this, I have decided to put this one on hold for now, and move on to something that, while still challenging me to further my abilities, will offer a better experience. I will be starting a new thread about it soon, as I have only just begun the build. I do intend at some point in the future to return to the President, as I hate to leave projects unfinished.
understood, also every mentioned about the President
And which model will be or is the next / already actual one?

Back