Mantua Sergal's Le Soleil Royal

Thanks. It has been a long haul. Just got the table in the mail to put the ship on and the case is on order. I found out after measuring the length of the main yard that the case I got from Model Expo (biggest one they make) was not wide enough and had to find someone who makes them. There is a person in San Marcos that does but he is not cheap. Historicships.com said their guy that used to make them retired and they have not found a replacement.

That's a shame, I guess you can't set the yards at an angle to utilize the case you have? Hope you can find a reasonable way to protect her, I don't think you want to have to dust!
J

At this point, since the rigging is glued, I can not angle the yards. However, I order the case today and it will be here in 6 to 8 weeks. I have an old case frame that I screw up putting the screw holes in so it will not hold plastic sheets good enough. This I use as a dust cover by putting old sheets over the area where glass would have gone. When I know it will be a while before I get back to working on the vessel, I put her in this to keep the dust clear. It will now become a temporary case.

Hey Gary, the build is looking great. With you just about being done, you can get started on one of those other kits you have piled up. See you on saturday. -lol

I have finished the model. It took 1,615 hours and has 6,503 parts. She was well worth the effort and makes a beautiful vessel.

Attachments

• Le Soleil Royal 88.JPG
    Le Soleil Royal 88.JPG
    244.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Le Soleil Royal 89.JPG
    Le Soleil Royal 89.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Le Soleil Royal 90.JPG
    Le Soleil Royal 90.JPG
    293.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Le Soleil Royal 91.JPG
    Le Soleil Royal 91.JPG
    297 KB · Views: 76
  • Le Soleil Royal 92.JPG
    Le Soleil Royal 92.JPG
    224.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Le Soleil Royal 93.JPG
    Le Soleil Royal 93.JPG
    256.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Le Soleil Royal 94.JPG
    Le Soleil Royal 94.JPG
    267.9 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Hi Gary,
Very well done.
This great looking model is worth your effort.
It was a very busy time but fine used.
Conglatulations
Looking forward to your next work.

Tadeusz

Thanks guys. I will see as I build the Sovereign if I learned enough to do an even better job. This forum and the work that others have done inspires you to want to do better and i learned some techniques from some modelers that make things easier and help avoid some errors.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a beautiful ship. ANYONE would be proud to have this displayed in their home. I hope I can do somewhat as good as you did on your boat. I can't wait to see the job you will do on the SOTS. I would love to get the kit, but the price I have seen it's way out of my price range. I will be looking forward to your build. Just a fantastic job you did.
Jerry

Thank both of you. The bad thing is that this ship and the Sovereign of the Seas are too big for the cases that Model Expo sells (not wide enough to have the yards straight across. The inside of the largest case is 18" and the Soleil yards are 17 1/2" and the Sovereign yards are over 18". The guy that used to build larger one at Historic Ship retired and they have not been able to find a replacement. The cheapest I can find is a person in San Marcos, California makes them but the case for my model will be just under $1,000 with the plexiglass.
Glad it takes over a year to do one of these.

Hi Gary and Congratulations on completing your build!

Wow, I go away for a while and come back to the forum and look at what I find. A beautiful job Gary and something to really be proud of. She's an inspiration to us all as are you.

So are you taking a little breather between ship models or are you diving right back in? :D

Clare

Kent, that is a great way of thinking about the expense of a case, but it still is a shock to the pocket book. However, it is well worth it and it keeps it save and clean. When you think about it as a one time investment that you only do very infrequently because of the time it take to build the next ship, it does not seem that bad.
Thanks a lot Clare. I have already been reading the instructions and looking at the plans from the Sovereign today. Will probably begin putting the frame together this evening.

GaryM said:
I have already been reading the instructions and looking at the plans from the Sovereign today. Will probably begin putting the frame together this evening.

Now THAT'S a ship modeler! :D

Clare

Hi Gary
Just got home and catching up with everybodys builds and see you have now completed yours and must say that is a fantastic job you have done their she looks beautiful.
steve

Thanks a lot Steve. It is nice to be able to enjoy having one you have wanted to build for a while get completed. This is one I have wanted to due to do ever since it came out. The Sovereign is another one I have wanted to do also since it came out. I have the old kit from 1974 and have upgraded the wood and instructions from their large revision of 2008. However, I did not get the lower gun decks and the revision altered the frames enough that they do not fit the older ones. Thus, I have to order those before I can start this one. Thanks goodness I Have the Royal Louis and have actually start this one while I wait.

Hi Gary
Im glad you've enjoyed the build because thats what its all about at the end of the day in my opinion, since i have taken this hobby up i have really enjoyed it and find it relaxing (most of the time) lol and takes my mind off things. We also learn new skills and to see your ship develope over time into such a lovely thing is very satisfying and rewarding and thats why i took it up.If i had the money i to would have liked to build the SoS and ST but i dont and so have gone the part works route for my next build HMS Victory to spread the cost, yes this is going to be a more expensive way but not by much probably $150 US or £100 pounds and it will also be the largest model i have ever attempted at 1.3mtrs and 22kg (dont know where im going to put it tho) :oops: and looking forward to seeing your next build.
steve

Well I got the case and it was made in Manila. It holds the ship very well and really sets it off. It came encased in a wooden grate and was very well packed. The assembly was basically attached one pole at a time with screws at the bottom. Once two sides were done, insert the plexiglass for testing. Once all the sides were done, insert one piece at a time and adjust, then screw on the top and seat the plastic. Do this for all sides and take your time to make sure it seats properly. The top piece then just sets in the frame. I bought a brass plate that says the name of the ship, time and pieces used, completion date and builder and put it in the case. The pictures show the end results.

Attachments

• Le Soleil Royal 95.JPG
    Le Soleil Royal 95.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 31
  • LeSoleil Royal 96.JPG
    LeSoleil Royal 96.JPG
    236.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Wow that is a really incredible ship. I just hope one day I'll be able to do a build that impressive. You must be very proud
John

Back