Mantua Sergal's Le Soleil Royal

Thanks a lot Donnie. It is going well but summers are always busy, right.
Clare did you get my pm with phone #. Come on up and we can have lunch.

Last edited:
Hi Gary,

Sorry I didn't get back to you yet. I'll give you a call in the next couple of days. Glad to hear things are working out in the relationship department, that's a good thing. Looking forward to meeting up soon!

Clare

I have finished the fore topmast standing rigging. The back stays are rigged to 4 mm deadeyes and the foremast stay is rigged with a mouse and 4 mm single blocks. The rigging given by Mantua was wrong and did not provide for adjustment. Additionally, it showed that there were two others attached to the ratlines in several places. This was not adjustable either and looked strange. Everything that was done on a ship had a purpose and a reason. The other model I used for reference had something similar to mine but tied around the mast at the bow. This type of gear would be set up as I did or would have started just below the bow platform on the support.

Attachments

• Le Soleil Royal 63.JPG
    Le Soleil Royal 63.JPG
    273.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Le Soleil Royal 64.JPG
    Le Soleil Royal 64.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Le Soleil Royal 65.JPG
    Le Soleil Royal 65.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Gary good to see you back at work, I see it's getting to be that time of the season when we would rather be at the workbench then outside in the cold. I took your advise and finished my gunport doors, I'll be posting pictures soon. Man I hope I can be half as good as you when it comes time for me to start the masts.

Thanks a lot Kent. Since most rigging is repetitive and the small scale limits knot types to very few, you improve very rapidly. The method used to rig ships change over time and varied with countries. Thus, the main thing with rigging is doing the research so that you know it is probably correct when you get finished.

Hello Gary,glad your back,like to follow your builds because of the high standard of workmanship,explanations and photo"s,thanks for the learnings. Q,what type and color primer did you use for this model ? Edwin

Thanks for your comment. Glad you find it helpful. That is the intention.
I do not use a primer, just sand with 600 grit sandpaper. Then, paint everything by hand. Usually do not even sand between coats since I do a light even color coat and let dry before second coat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Gary !

Superb Rigging I must say. I like the difference of color Rigging on the Shrouds. Very lifelike and scale. This is really going to be a beauty when she is finished.

Wow !

Donnie

Thanks Donnie. I have used 14 different sizes of rigging line so far. The pictures give you a hint of the difference, but it is more noticeable in full size. However, some probably do not register as different to the naked eye, but I know they are there. The difference between .08, .1, .13 and .15 mm can not be told apart unless there is a lot of the same size close to one that is a lot different such as .08 and .13. The same can be said for .2, .25, and .3 mm, but I know that I have done it right.

Hi Gary,the question about painting methods has already helped another modeler,a little help goes a long way,thanks Edwin

The main topmast standing rigging is done and the stay goes through a block at the masthead and down deck level with a 4 part purchase using a single block and a fiddle block. The burton pendants are hooked and tied off to the shrouds.

Attachments

• Le Soleil Royal 66.JPG
    Le Soleil Royal 66.JPG
    193 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Missen topmast standing rigging is now done. So are over 2500 clove hitches and over 6200 pieces.

Attachments

• Le Soleil Royal 67.JPG
    Le Soleil Royal 67.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 23
  • Le Soleil Royal 68.JPG
    Le Soleil Royal 68.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
The standing rigging has been completed and has 3,000 clove hitches. The topgallant stays run through a block just below the cap but above the trestle trees and set up on the tops. The bowsprit topmast back stay sets up with four 2 mm blocks. The fore back stay is a shifting stay using 2.5 mm blocks, but the main one is set up to deadeyes.

Attachments

• Le Soleil Royal 69.JPG
    Le Soleil Royal 69.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Le Soleil Royal 70.JPG
    Le Soleil Royal 70.JPG
    261.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Le Soleil Royal 71.JPG
    Le Soleil Royal 71.JPG
    221.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Hi GaryM very nice looking build and was surprised to see the kit is from china, i was always wondering what these kits were like for quality and build as iv'e heard before that they were poor. After reading your thread it seems this kit anyway only suffers from the normal problems regarding things been on one set of plans but not another,block and thread sizes and quantity.
I have found similar issues with my supply kit and the price looks very reasonable as here in the uk this kit is £750 over $900 the same as the santisima trinidad here, so well out my price range but getting either one from china would be a more viable option for me even with shipping costs,but these kits will have to wait awhile for me tho as my next venture is the De Agostini part work HMS Victory for which i already have 58 issues saved up ready for when i finish this one.
Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to you and your family also
cheers steve

This is a Mantua kit from Italy. This is not the San Felipe that is available from China but is considered a pirated San Felipe. Mantua's kits are better made but still have their limits.

Like the standing rigging, I have calculated the sizes of the running rigging. Even though I am not putting sails on mine, I have done the calculations for those that will attempt this model and want to include the sails. The measurements are in millimeters and are rounded to 3 decimal places.
Beginning after 1640, foot ropes appeared on the lower masts only. They did not appear on the any other masts until after 1680. Stirrups did not appear until about 1720 and Flemish horses did not appear until 1670. The foot ropes hung 30 inches (76 cm) below the yards and the inside end was set up to deadeyes during this time frame.
Bowsprit spritsail
Yard sling .797
Halliard .359
Lifts .398
Pendant .259
Purchase .199
Braces .398
Pendant .29
Sheets .398
Clew lines .259
Spritsail topsail
Halyard .498
Pendant .298
Lifts .159
Braces .239
Sheets .398
Clew lines .199
Foremast fore course
Tye .996
Purchase .697
Lifts .398
Braces .697
Pendant .498
Sheets .737
Tacks .996
Clew lines .379
Leech and bunt lines .319
Bow lines .398
Footropes .311
Lanyards .155
Foremast topsail
Tye .996
Halyard .498
Lifts .259
Braces .398
Pendant .259
Sheets .717
Clew lines .438
Leech and bunt lines .379
Bow lines .398
Reef tackle .279
Foremast topgallant
Tye .498
Halyard.259
Lifts .159
Braces .379
Pendant .239
Sheets .398
Clew lines .199
Bow lines .199
Main mast main course
Tye .996
Purchase .697
Lifts .398
Braces .697
Pendant .498
Sheets .737
Tacks .996
Clew lines .379
Leech and bunt lines .319
Bow lines .398
Footropes .311
Lanyards .155
Main topsail
Tye .996
Halyard .498
Lifts .259
Brsaces .398
Pendant .259
Sheets .877
Clew lines .438
Leech and bunt lines .379
Bow lines .39
Reef tackle .239
Topgallant
Tye .498
Halyard .259
Lifts .159
Braces .379
Pendant .239
Sheets .398
Clew lines .199
Bow lines .199
Mizzen mast mizzen course
Tye .498
Halyard .259
Lifts .159
Braces .239
Pendant .159
Sheets .398
Clew lines .199
Bow lines .199
Mizzen lateen
Halyard .797
Pendant .398
Lifts .398
Bridles .159
Tack tackle .259
Sheets .498
Clew lines .299
Leech and bunt lines .299
Mizzen crowjack
Sling .498
Lifts .199
Braces .259
Pendant .219

Last edited:
Hi Gary, Merry Christmas (well, a day late).

I love the look of your Soleil Royal model. The rigging should keep you quite busy for some time, eh? I don't have any models at the rigging stage, unfortunately. I really enjoyed rigging the San Felipe. Your detail research is very nice. I think the next ship that I rig, I will try to do a better job on the detail than I did on the San Felipe. I just rigged it straight from the kit instructions, but I think it will be more interesting to get more authentic like with your model.

Anyway, very nice work!

Clare

Back