Mantua Sergal's Le Soleil Royal

I have switched to some white glue for the remaining rigging, but still use some CA for places that need strength. I an getting close to finishing the lower masts rigging and will be posting pictures soon. Using the the correct sizes on the rigging really shows up, but working with the smaller lines takes a lot longer.

After 1,300 hours and over 5,900 pieces, I have the lower masts rigged. The English used dead-eyes to rigged the stays but all other countries during this period used triple blocks. The main stay was rigged and passed on the starboard side of the fore mast. Mantua diagram for all these mast is incorrect. Notice that the sizes of the shrouds and stays are all different. This really shows up nicely and adds realism to the model. The next set of shrouds will be smaller and hopefully they will show up well in the pictures.when I finish them. I have used 12 different sizes of rigging line at this stage.
I should have used lighter colored rigging on the lanyards since they are not tarred, but will keep them consistent.

View attachment 27412View attachment 27413View attachment 27414View attachment 27415View attachment 27416

GaryM great job! What book are you using for the rigging? I think you´re right most kits don´t do a good job on the rigging and adopt a standard one (british?). Early XVIII century baroque period ships rigging like yours tend to have quite noticeable differences among countries although towards the end of the century they all converged with very little difference (some minor details). The paint scheme looks well balanced is the real one or it came out of your inspiration? The link below is to a scratch build log of an early XVIII century ship by a true "Maestro" . At the very top of the page you can use translation by clicking on the UK flag.
http://www.modelismonaval.com/foro/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10453&start=90

Thanks Anaga.
Most of the rigging information comes from "Historic Ship Models" by Wolfram zu Mondfeld. Some of it comes from "The rigging of Ships In the Days of the Spritsail Topmast" by R. C. Anderson. The colors are based upon the materials that were used for paint in that era as mentioned in "Ship Modeling From Stem to Stern" by Milton Roth.

Thanks, Joe. It is the most ornate ship the French built. I believe only the Sovereign of the Seas had more gold on her than any other ship ever built. The same thing goes for the carvings.

Thanks a lot popeye. Currently working on the life boats which is a project in and of itself. They are tiny and yet still double planked.

Last edited:
Before going onto the next set of mast, I built the lifeboats. This will bring the number of parts to over six thousand. the boats are double planked and contain over 60 pieces for each one. The smaller one is 11 cm. and the larger is 128 mm.

Attachments

• Le Soleil Royal 60.jpg
    Le Soleil Royal 60.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 12
  • Le Soleil Royal 61.jpg
    Le Soleil Royal 61.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Le Soleil Royal 62.jpg
    Le Soleil Royal 62.jpg
    435.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Wow!!
These boats have been great.
You are doing a fantastic job. Just look at the results.
I continue to the progress.

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
They take a lot longer to do than I thought they would. Being so small they were sure easy to break and had to learn how to handle them since they were so delicate.

Thanks. Yes I was able to get something similar. How was your cruise? With the heat wave we been having, you sure picked a good time to go on vacation.

Hi Gary,

If I didn't say it before, nice job on the ship's boats!

What I am really missing now is a good dose of your Soleil Royale. I want to see more pics of that beautiful model :D

By the way, if you're ever up for a drive over to the Concord/Pleasant Hill area, let me know. You can come by and see how much unfinished stuff I've got here. Unfortunately, I don't have anything in an interesting rigging stage like you do. I'm all small hulls right now. I've clearly got to get my act in gear. Your model is a real inspiration.

Also, would love to see your model in person some time. PM me some time if you want to meet up.

Most importantly for now... More Soleil Royale pics please!

Clare

Thanks Clare. I really appreciate your comment. I have started a new relationship and have not worked much on my vessel. We started talking in January a little and finally met up in late March. We are now living together and spending a lot of time getting to know each other. She is trying to get her house fixed up before winter and we are running between houses trying to get everything done. Hopefully things will settle down pretty quick and I can get back to working on my ship.

Hi Gary - good to see ya still at the ship. on your new relationship !

Back