Mantua Sergal's Le Soleil Royal

That is dust, I think, because it was shot so close. I did not notice it until I put the picture on my computer. The top rail is only 13 cm across so this picture magnifies the area by 2. I am also using 600 watts of halogen lights, 100 watts of irridescent light and a flash to light the area. Thus, the lighting is brighter than it would be outside in the sun.

My gosh - thats a lot of work and detail going on there !!!! Looking great.

Thanks Donnie. The amount of detail on this ship is great, but things like the two stage steps were shown as one piece. My research indicated two stages and was corrected. As I build this model , it is very obvious that the amount of research that Mantua did was very limited.

It is a Polly Scale Model Railroad color called CSX Blue. I try and get the colors as close to the original as I can determine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finished the poop deck and added the items remaining for the back and sides except for the lanterns and flagpole. They will go on after the rigging is finished.

Le Soleil Royal 37.jpgLe Soleil Royal 38.jpgLe Soleil Royal 39.jpg

I installed the foremast. Mantua incorrectly shows the woolings under the fish and cheeks and says to used 0.5 mm line. The woolings are only 1" rope. This would be 5" rope at this scale. Thus, I used 0.1 mm.
Also, Mantua shows wooling on the missen mast. These first appeared over 60 years later than when this ship was built in 1669.
It has taken me 1050 hours to get this far. The amount of pieces needed so far is over 4,100.

Le Soleil Royal 40a.jpgLe Soleil Royal 41a.jpgLe Soleil Royal 42a.jpg

Fantastic work Gary ! Man those Mast look huge and hefty. ( I do like them )

Thanks a lot Donnie. This one is 10 mm at the deck and 8 mm at the top. The main mast will be 12 mm and 8 mm at the top. The missen will be 10 and 6.

They built it to last I guess. It was a good size since this is 1:77 scale. I guess one of the real fears they had was having a mast split by cannon fire.

Mantua only sends 2 sizes of deadeye, 5 and 7 mm.
The rule for the size of deadeye to use is: the diameter of the deadeye is equal to one-half the size of the visible maximum mast diameter that it is associated with. If that size it not available, one source says to round up and another says to round down. My interpretation would be that on the lower deadeye, they probably would round up. On the other deadeyes, they would probably round down.
Deadeye are available in 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5 4, 5, 7 mm. They are others that larger sizes but would not be on this ship.
The size if the mainmast is 12 mm and the fore and missen are 10 mm. What Mantua shows is that 7 mm deadeye are used for all the shrouds and the backstays are 5 mm. This is very incorrect. 7 mm being only used for the mainmast shrouds would be right. The strops that they send do not work either because the channels are planked on both sides. Thus, the strops are to short to come below the channels.
To solve the problem, I bought the photo etched deadeye straps that are made by Amati. They come in 3, 5 and 7 mm. The 3 can be used to handle 2.5 mm deadeye and the 5 can be used for 4 mm deadeye.
Based upon the rule sighted above, I modified the deadeye on the channels as follows:
Foremast: eight 5 mm for the shrouds, two 4 mm for backstays
Mainmast: nine 7 mm for shrouds, two 4 mm and one 2.5 mm for backstays
Mission mast: six 5 mm
Currently, I have over 1,100 hours in construction time and over 4,800 parts have been utilized.

Le Soleil Royal 43a.jpgLe Soleil Royal 44a.jpg

Gary,
This is a very impressive build with nice ornaments
It must be a hell of a job to modify all deadeyes.
Keep the good work.

Thanks everyone. The only thing hard about the deadeye was getting the larger strops to fit smaller deadeye. The 2.5 mm into the 3 mm strop was a real chore. Cannon port doors are next. Then the rigging starts.

WOW, this ship is 'blinged' to the max! You are doing a fantastic job on this build. Beautiful paint scheme. Seems like all the shiny gold this ship carries would make her easy to find on a sunny day. Guess her multiple cannons would make most opponents 'gun shy'.

After more than 1150 hours and over 5750 parts, I am ready to start the rigging process. The cannon port doors are triple planked like the real ship would have been. This process shows that the designer did have some knowledge of ship design from this era. This should be expected from a kit that is designed for expert level builders who are willing pay the price for this kit. The pictures below will show the ship with the doors attached. When the doors are down, the color should match the color of the ship and blend in. With the doors open, the sides and face are painted red so blood would not be as noticeable.
Each door has a gold Flor de Leis decoration.

Many sizes of rigging thread will be used to complete the model. The sizes of rope were based upon the diameter of the main mast at the main deck level. I have calculated the sizes for this vessel base upon the period of it launch. Below is the table for the standing rigging in millimeters.

Bowsprit
Gammoning .797
Bobstay 1.594
Lanyard single .597
Shrouds .498
Lanyards .199
Head stay .319
Lanyard .159
Ratlines .13

Foremast
Lower Mast

Tackle pendant .797
Tackles .398
Shrouds .797
Lanyards .398
Stay 1.594
Lanyard .498
Topmast
Burton pendant .398
Tackles .199
Futtock staves .797
Futtock shrouds .359
Topmast shrouds .398
Lanyards .199
Backstay .398
Lanyard .199
Topmast stay .797
Lanyard .359
Topgallant
Futtock staves .398
Futtock shrouds .299
Topgallant shrouds .319
Lanyards .159
Backstay .319
Lanyard .159
Topgallant stay .398

Main Mast
Lower Mast

Tackle pendant .996
Tackles .498
Shrouds .996
Lanyards .498
Stay 1.99
Stay collar 1.49
Lanyard .598
Topmast
Burton pendant .498
Tackles .259
Futtock staves .996
Futtock shrouds .398
Topmast shrouds .498
Lanyards .259
Backstay .398
Lanyard .239
Topmast stay .996
Lanyard .398
Topgallant
Futtock staves .498
Futtock shrouds .299
Topgallant shrouds .319
Lanyards .159
Backstay .319
Lanyard .159
Topgallant stay .398

Mizzen Mast
Lower Mast

Tackle pendant
Tackles
Shrouds .498
Lanyards .259
Stay .797
Lanyard .398
Topmast
Burton pendant
Tackles
Futtock staves .498
Futtock shrouds .299
Topmast shrouds .319
Lanyards .159
Backstay .319
Lanyard .159
Topmast stay .398
Lanyard .199
Topgallant
Futtock staves
Futtock Shrouds
Topgallent Shrouds
Lanyards
Backstay .159
Lanyard .080
Topgallant stay .199

Heavy serving at this scale would be .008 mm and used on on items that would have to withstand many tons of force. Most servings were light and at this scale would be .004 mm. So I did not serve the ends of the ratlines or rarely served anything else.
I just realized I did not discuss the block sizes and will need this information to do the tackle and pendants. The lengths of the blocks are usually 12 times the diameter of the rope that goes through them.

Attachments

• Le Soleil Royal 45.jpg
    Le Soleil Royal 45.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Le Soleil Royal 46.jpg
    Le Soleil Royal 46.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Le Soleil Royal 47.jpg
    Le Soleil Royal 47.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Le Soleil Royal 48.jpg
    Le Soleil Royal 48.jpg