Marie Jeanne - Billing Boats - 1/50

Deck 'furniture' being added slowly but surely, each is a little project on their own.
20200130_171104.jpg

I had some fun with the anchor winch! My brass bending skills is up to no good, so i decided it would be easier cutting up the brass rod and soldering together. The mast 'stump' had to to be shaped from a dowel to octagonal shape, some very careful filing was required. All in all happy with the results.
20200130_171115.jpg

Attachments

• 20200130_171104.jpg
    20200130_171104.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 14
This the deck of Marie Jeanne.
I'doing the center of the deck with this solution. It seems to me not so bad.
Sorry for automatic corrector

One thing i've realized is that i'm a really slow builder and that I suck at keeping a proper build log. Hats of to the guys and girls that take the time to update their build logs on a regular basis!
Some progress - I have decided to try and make my own sails. Nice of Billing Boats to include a set of sails, but it has these horrible white painted markings on that is a PITA to remove. I've gone with the tanbark look, as my research suggest that these were commonly used.
20200510_124358.jpg
Full set of sails - also tried to give the sails some color variation.20200510_124230.jpg
and the masts and spars, finished painting them, now need to add the bits and pieces.
20200510_124649.jpg

One thing i've realized is that i'm a really slow builder and that I suck at keeping a proper build log. Hats of to the guys and girls that take the time to update their build logs on a regular basis!
Some progress - I have decided to try and make my own sails. Nice of Billing Boats to include a set of sails, but it has these horrible white painted markings on that is a PITA to remove. I've gone with the tanbark look, as my research suggest that these were commonly used.
View attachment 150244
Full set of sails - also tried to give the sails some color variation.View attachment 150245
and the masts and spars, finished painting them, now need to add the bits and pieces.
View attachment 150246
View attachment 150244
Full set of sails - also tried to give the sails some color variation.View attachment 150245
View attachment 150246
Hi, I am new to this model business and wonder what is the best product to use to colour the sails? The cloth provided is plain white. Thanks

Hi Dave,

I used water based Gouache paint to colour mine. Mixed with lots of water and then brushed on. Main colour was Burnt Sienna, mixed with a bit of Crimson.
Just keep in mind that i'm a novice builder, so there is probably better ways of doing it, I just did what worked for me at the time! Thumbsup
I would suggest you ask the question on this page: General Topics / Help with Models, you should get some ideas from the more experienced builders.

Deck 'furniture' being added slowly but surely, each is a little project on their own.
View attachment 131561

I had some fun with the anchor winch! My brass bending skills is up to no good, so i decided it would be easier cutting up the brass rod and soldering together. The mast 'stump' had to to be shaped from a dowel to octagonal shape, some very careful filing was required. All in all happy with the results.
View attachment 131562
Looks fantastic. Do you have any other deck furniture pieces fitted you could post as it’s helping me understand the drawings and assembly.

Good morning from Cape Town John. Nice to have another SAFFER making a log. I have Been through your build and you must be happy how it is coming out- really good. Your deck is brilliant (brave to go for the paper). Like you, bending metal Is something challenging which I cannot get right however your anchor winch is great. Really good job All round John. If you know anywhere in SA where we can get supplies it would be super helpful. Jix hobbies in Pretoria is the best but limited to Artesania Latina products only.....and a small product selection. Cheers Grant.

Hi Grant,
Yeah the Saffa ship modelers is far and few between, although it seems that SOS has snared a couple of us :)
I've come up with a couple of places that stock kits, here is the links:
Loot
Raru
Jeffrey Stein - these guys are in your neck of the woods and are the importers of the AL kits
Jix Hobbies
Firefly Hobbies
If you gonna go the scratch building path you can pick up some nice wood at Rarewoods SA (also in the CT area), i've picked up some nice Cape Box there for cheap cheap

Hi Grant,
Yeah the Saffa ship modelers is far and few between, although it seems that SOS has snared a couple of us :)
I've come up with a couple of places that stock kits, here is the links:
Loot
Raru
Jeffrey Stein - these guys are in your neck of the woods and are the importers of the AL kits
Jix Hobbies
Firefly Hobbies
If you gonna go the scratch building path you can pick up some nice wood at Rarewoods SA (also in the CT area), i've picked up some nice Cape Box there for cheap cheap
Good morning- Thanks for this. I have used most of those however we are a little stuck here for quality products. As you know with getting items here is rather costly and time hindered. Thanks for the Rarewoods tip I did not know this and have run out of wood on my Victory. Much appreciated. Cheers.

Mr Roger, im a fellow South African and i bought my first boat which is this model kit. i assembled the frames and contoured the bulkheads, however i got stuck at step 4 of the build as it is not very clear how the pieces at the keel are mean to fit together, am i supposed to sand a bevell on the edge of part 36? and im not sure how part 37 is meant to go on top of it. or perhaps i might have interpreted the instructions incorrectly.

Mr Roger, im a fellow South African and i bought my first boat which is this model kit. i assembled the frames and contoured the bulkheads, however i got stuck at step 4 of the build as it is not very clear how the pieces at the keel are mean to fit together, am i supposed to sand a bevell on the edge of part 36? and im not sure how part 37 is meant to go on top of it. or perhaps i might have interpreted the instructions incorrectly.
Hi MrCL4RKE
The Billing Boat instructions leave a lot to be desired, that's for sure!
I'll go have a look at my build and see if I can remember what i did with those parts, will let you know.
It's been a while since I worked on this kit, so my memory is a bit rusty...

Back