Maris Stella HMS Ontario in 1/48 scale

Well, I cleared an area of my bench to start a new build log. This kit was won in a raffle, from the generosity of Olha Batchvarov’s you tube channel.
Since I was so close to her home, I decided to pick it up in person. To see her work in person was awesome. When you watch it on her YouTube channel, it doesn’t do it justice. The neatness, finesse, and her building style is unbelievable. With her home made ropes her rigging is flawless.

I will be building this model in tandem with two other builds…..the San Bartolome and the HMS Victory cross-section.
My first post is not much, but I wanted to get the build log started.
The kit itself is beautiful, the wood is top-notch. I also got the upgraded version with Pear wood blocks and upgraded cannons. I of course started with the keel. And I could not believe it before I started to glue anything my dog decided to check out what was going on as soon as I turned my back, I guess I can no longer leave the chair that close to the workbench.
Hope everyone is having a good evening!
Happy Saint Patrick’s IMG_9017.jpegIMG_9018.jpegIMG_9019.jpegIMG_9020.jpegIMG_9021.jpegIMG_9022.jpegIMG_9025.jpegIMG_9028.jpegIMG_9029.jpeg

IMG_9024.jpeg

Thinking about purchasing this kit, will definitely follow your build. I like the upgrades.
The marble slab is a great idea, going to my local counter top supplier for a piece of counter top off cut.
Good luck with the build!

Thinking about purchasing this kit, will definitely follow your build. I like the upgrades.
The marble slab is a great idea, going to my local counter top supplier for a piece of counter top off cut.
Good luck with the build!
It’s a really nice kit with upgrades. My marble is a cut off from a door thresh hold. It’s perfect for keeping things straight. Thanks for checking out my build.

Did a little work tonight. Cut out the walnut keel parts. It’s 6mm thick so a lot of laser charring to clean up. I did not sand it….I scraped it. This way I did not take off too much material and everything stayed square. I test fit the stern post to the 3D printed transom and it’s a perfect. Since the kit comes with the original way to build the transom out of wood and the 3d laminated way I will build the wooden one as well. Which ever looks better is the one I will use. Supposedly the all wood way was pretty difficult, that’s why they came out with the 3D printed transom to make the kit a little easier. I am up for the challenge. Will see how it goes.IMG_9213.jpegIMG_9215.jpegIMG_9214.jpegIMG_9214.jpegIMG_9221.jpegIMG_9220.jpegIMG_9219.jpeg

Looks like a terrific kit. Just what I'd expect from Zoltan. The products he handles are first rate! As is his personal service.
I'm envious of your westie. makes me miss mine.;)

Congrats on the win. I have the earlier kit which is in progress with Dos Amigos looking forward to following you , its a quality kit for sure.....

Back