Mast hoops

Hi;
Am building a schooner and have fabricated wood mast hoop for the mainsail. Can anyone direct me to a source that diagrams in detail how these hoop attach to the sail itself?
Thanks in advance.
Ilan

Here's how I made mine:
Took the nasty limewood thin planking the foreign kits often provide for first layer planking and soaked overnight in windshield (ammonia) washer fluid.
While wet and pliable wound it around a long metal rod clamping both ends to it until dry.
Measured mast diameter w/ calipers and cut individual links that were a bit larger diameter.
Nipped heads off brass pins also supplied with kits; drilled two holes longitudinally on one end of hoop and inserted pin heads; tiny stub on under surface barely protrudes and is superglued.
Hoop applied over mast, pushed away from mast while two ends are carefully held together and 11 blade tip applies drop of superglue to under surface with accelerator so when let go doesn't stick to mast. Would be very hard for anyone to tell that the two ends of the hoop don't overlap, but that wouldn't be much harder to accomplish if thin each end as in real life.

Here is the method I used on my Bluenose. It is used in the same way for both attaching the sail to the mast hoops as it is used to attach the sail's to the booms and hanks. It works really well, also is easy to do because it uses one long length of rope with out knots in between. The finished result is great, everything falls into place as you tighten it the hoops will line up perfectly. You can give it a try to see what you think

.1559726352_5618_FT33665_sailboom.jpg1564963806_5618_FT33665_img_1791a.jpg1564963948_5618_FT33665_img_1832a.jpg1565096005_5618_FT33665_img_1949a.jpgIMG_1756ab.jpg

Here found a pic while tightening up the hoops hopefully shows it a little better...

1561410219_5618_FT33665_img_1472.jpg

Here is the method I used on my Bluenose. It is used in the same way for both attaching the sail to the mast hoops as it is used to attach the sail's to the booms and hanks. It works really well, also is easy to do because it uses one long length of rope with out knots in between. The finished result is great, everything falls into place as you tighten it the hoops will line up perfectly. You can give it a try to see what you think

.View attachment 123957View attachment 123958View attachment 123959View attachment 123960View attachment 123961

Here found a pic while tightening up the hoops hopefully shows it a little better...

View attachment 123966
Great photos of a well finished build. I"ll be following in your wake in a month or so after finishing off another schooner rigged pilot boat for which there is no identified scale. . . old Constructo kit from 1970, and tricked up for needed items found on an actual sailing vessel. A lot of detail depends upon the size of the model and what is visually in scale and practical to craft. Well done.
PT-2

As one of my college instructors said to the class, "it is amazing what you can learn when you read the books and assignments for lessons!" We had students complain things on tests were not taught in class, and he said the were in assignments in the books!

I have bought many books to help me learn more about modeling ships, wish I had more time to read them all!

As one of my college instructors said to the class, "it is amazing what you can learn when you read the books and assignments for lessons!" We had students complain things on tests were not taught in class, and he said the were in assignments in the books!

I have bought many books to help me learn more about modeling ships, wish I had more time to read them all!
Looking at old Bluenose photos and a YouTube of movies taken aboard I think that there is a difference in what is visible there and what we like to see on a precise model in how the sails were tied to the booms. I know the kits offer options, some of which I don't see in the old movies and photos where the sail foot was tied at each clew point and loose ends hang below the boom. Maybe I am wrong but I will sail in the direction of as much authentic presentation as I can, setting aside the more smooth and finished appearing end result for which most observers will marvel. Just a choice in tacks and nothing right or wrong for personal decisions. PT-2

I lashed my sails the optional way. However you are correct, some of these kit producers take the liberty to arbitrarily make and or suggest changes which do not represent authenticity. I found several errors in the rigging plans but was able to make the corrections. Making something exactly the way it was is difficult at best. Some of the authenticity is virtually impossible to recreate. I just ordered the ship Pegasus by Amati and I am hoping this kit will be more representative of the real ship.

Back