Matching Paint colors

Donnie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator
Le Rochefort Moderator

Just to let everyone know that I needed more of the "Admiralty Paints" Red Ochre # AP9116W and it was only one bottle and I needed it very quickly. So, for the time being, I found what I think is about a near perfect (color match) as I can find. I was using this color for the Bulwarks and the Canon Port Lids.

The brand is Anita's Acrylic Craft Paint #11025 Rust Red. After painting some Gun Port lids, I honestly could not tell any difference in the shade of color after they were dry from the originals. Purchased from Hobby Lobby.

DSC01145.jpg

I know this is an old thread but I am looking for the same paint and found Windsor Newton Gallaria acrylic paint Red Ochre it is an artists paint and found in art supply stores

I see that Hobby-Lobby carries the Winsor & Newton Artists' Watercolor Paint. However, of all the colors they mention, I do not see a Red Ocre in the list. The only think listed is a Dark Indian red. But the main fact is that at least if you have a hobby-lobby near you, they have some colors to choose from. thanks for mentioning this. I will have to try out this brand. The folk art paint is really thick and has to be watered down alot.
https://www.hobbylobby.com/Art-Supp...sor-&-Newton-Artists'-Watercolor-Paint/p/6117

So a little further investigating going to the Winsor Newton website, these are the RED colors they have listed by name. I am not sure which one would qualify for Red Occre

Cadmium Scarlet
Scarlet Lake
Cadmium Red
Cadmium Red Deep
Winsor Red
Quinacridone Red
Winsor Red Deep
Permanent Alizarin Crimson
Alizarin Crimson
Permanent Carmine
Light Red
Venetian Red
Indian Red
Perylene Maroon

I see that Hobby-Lobby carries the Winsor & Newton Artists' Watercolor Paint. However, of all the colors they mention, I do not see a Red Ocre in the list. The only think listed is a Dark Indian red. But the main fact is that at least if you have a hobby-lobby near you, they have some colors to choose from. thanks for mentioning this. I will have to try out this brand. The folk art paint is really thick and has to be watered down alot.
https://www.hobbylobby.com/Art-Supp...sor-&-Newton-Artists'-Watercolor-Paint/p/6117

So a little further investigating going to the Winsor Newton website, these are the RED colors they have listed by name. I am not sure which one would qualify for Red Occre

Cadmium Scarlet
Scarlet Lake
Cadmium Red
Cadmium Red Deep
Winsor Red
Quinacridone Red
Winsor Red Deep
Permanent Alizarin Crimson
Alizarin Crimson
Permanent Carmine
Light Red
Venetian Red
Indian Red
Perylene Maroon
Look for Acrylic paints "Winsor & Newton Gallaria" or "Winsor & Newton Proffesional" not water colors

Hummmm......very interesting. This link is for the WORLD site and not the USA site. I see NOW the red Ocre listed !!!! Nice. I wonder why the USA site does not carry the Red Ocre. that is strange.....
However, thank you travoski for that link - it makes perfect sense now.

Back