Matz's 17-inch canoe - Pear wood

Hello everybody,

this is my first build log here, so please forgive me the mistakes I will make as expected :rolleyes:

After I have received the wood delivery from Sergey, I now can start with the construction report.
A 17" canoe is planned because the corresponding wood cutting only allows this size.

First, cut all stations out of 3mm plywood and sanding them to perfect "twins". They all got a cut in the upper and lower area to mark the centerline.

DSC00857-w1024.jpg

Then scribing the baseboard as recommended.

DSC00863-w1024.jpg
Fixing the stations with hot glue and adjusting them. Here you have to work quite quickly.

DSC00864-w1024.jpg
The alignemet shoud be sufficient.

DSC00865-w1024.jpg
DSC00866-w1024.jpg
Now tried the first plank, nothing has been beveled yet.

DSC00871_1-w1024.jpg
The gap on station 3 is a little too far I think.

Should I reduce the width of station #2 to get a better fitting?

Thank you for your interest
matz

matz
Hello Matz,
Yes you can adjust station 2 by a little less than 1 mm at the horizontal line.

station molds-1.jpg

When you test fit and install the first strip. please see this post:

G

First I reduced the horizontal diameter on station #2 from 78mm to 76mm, this has reduced the gap.

Then fixed the first plank with nails 0.8mm on station #2 and #5.
After beveling station#8 I glued the second plank with wood-glue and fixed it with modified foldback clips.

DSC00878-w1024.jpg

DSC00880-w1024.jpg
Next will be a plank of pine wood to get some "contrast"

matz

Hallo @matz ,
looking very good - so do not stop to post regularly photos and reports of your work on the canoe.
Unfortunately I am still waiting for my wood from bibigon - now it is in the austrian custom since ONE week already

Hi matz :)
welcome aboard , It looks like a very nice start and promises, Our site has lovely people who will be happy to assist you with advice, professional knowledge and a kind word. Lots of success in the construction process, I will continue to follow in anticipation

The hull has just been closed. The last few stripes were particularly difficult.

DSC00957-w1024.jpg

DSC00974-w1024.jpg

DSC00977-w1024.jpg

Unfortunately I made a mistake right at the beginning of the underside planking, which I noticed a little late and then corrected.

DSC00978-w1024.jpg

DSC00978-w1024_1.jpg
The first grinding work has already been carried out.
I will probably also attach an outer keel. ;)

matz

Most people will never notice the two strips together instead of once from each side, the canoe looks good so far.
Overall you are doing better than I did on my actual first build (canoe) and had to disguise more problems than I like but in the end will probably not be noticed by a casual viewer. The completion phases seem to be when the canoe begins to come to life and really shines with the final finishes. We will have a nice fleet in our group with your addition and more to come. PT-2

Hello everybody,

this is my first build log here, so please forgive me the mistakes I will make as expected :rolleyes:

After I have received the wood delivery from Sergey, I now can start with the construction report.
A 17" canoe is planned because the corresponding wood cutting only allows this size.

First, cut all stations out of 3mm plywood and sanding them to perfect "twins". They all got a cut in the upper and lower area to mark the centerline.

View attachment 164477

Then scribing the baseboard as recommended.

View attachment 164478
Fixing the stations with hot glue and adjusting them. Here you have to work quite quickly.

View attachment 164479
The alignemet shoud be sufficient.

View attachment 164480
View attachment 164481
Now tried the first plank, nothing has been beveled yet.

View attachment 164482
The gap on station 3 is a little too far I think.

matz
Hallo @matz
we wish you all the BEST and a Happy Birthday
Birthday-Cake

Hallo @matz
we wish you all the BEST and a Happy Birthday
Birthday-Cake
Don't worry about mistakes as they show that you are engaged and not idle. I felt and still do that a strip canoe was an excellent build to learn more about planking and that experience paid off in my following MS2130 1:64 Bluenose. Rich (PT-2)

Back