• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

MEERMIN Dutch wijdschip 1/44

  • Thread starter Thread starter Iterum
  • Start date Start date
  • Watchers Watchers 7
I ordered DIN A2 bookbinder's cardboard and the spine doesn't fit - even laying diagonal by some millimeters.

So I cut the spine into two and placed her on top the 1mm cardboard:
Polish_20260923_210120909.jpg

I could not go to bed this night before the very first layer was cut out. The next layer is cut near bulkhead four - and so the laminated spine-parts do fit together giving a stiff 5mm thick centerboard. Being glued together, than the slots for the bulkheads will be added by the use of my trusted Proxxon table saw.

So this night I worked it out this way:
Polish_20260923_221315628.jpg
 
Last edited:
Hello colleauges, fast steps foreward are a great thing to have - after my experience in 1/44 a lot is easier here in 1/33 scale.

Today I worked with the spine. As my centerboard is a bit longer than the DIN A2 sheets - I decided to change to my pile of 2mms bookbinder's cardboard. By this the hole 5mms thickness is build by three layers.
IMG_20260924_103831_267.jpg

I also was in need of a single sheet per part:
Polish_20260924_113556065.jpg
IMG_20260924_103149_276.jpg
I positionated the parts in an overlapping pattern for more stability. I measured the mid between stem and stern and took there just the very half at 162mms for my slots outside:
IMG_20260924_101716_727.jpg
Polish_20260924_113523303.jpg
and also added the stand's pair of slots of 5×10mms stanchions to keep the boat upright:
IMG_20260924_110504_067.jpg


IMG_20260924_110708_443.jpg

IMG_20260924_111258_725.jpg
So now I am awaiting my glue to bond.

Best wishes from Berlin Card Yard,
Chris

IMG_20260924_102911_921.jpg

IMG_20260924_110131_414.jpg
 
@Ab Hoving

IMG_20260924_115000_146.jpg

Dear Ab,

progress is fast in this "semi-kit" by your drawings. So as I want the kick of the struggle of a rigging I would like to ask you for your mast plan and rigging details - because I think when reading to literature I cannot figure it out by myself...

Certainly there is the question WHERE to strengthen the hull tontake the righings' forces.

Thank you very much.
 
Hello Chris,
I see you chose the standing gaff rig for your wide ship. This rig is actually the same as what was used for Statenjachten. Here is a picture that is applicable:
Scherm­afbeelding 2026-09-25 om 08.07.12.png
As to reinforcements of the hull: I suppose you have cut the hole for the mast into your spine? If you execute the foot of your mast as a fork, fitting over the spine you are sure that the mast is upright. It might be wise to reinforce the location of your channels, because you are building at a relatively large scale.
The ratlines on the shrouds are not necessairy.
Good luck.
Ab
Furthermore
 
Hello colleauges!
According to Ab's great advice, I started leafing through my books shelf I found Werner Jaegers highly detailled book
Polish_20260926_185732501.jpg
"Die niederländische Jacht im 17. Jahrhundert" (The Dutch Yacht of the XVII. Century).

In there are big table's of yard, mast, and other dimensions, to the very most intrest to MEERMIN are these two drawings on the page 192
Polish_20260926_185915116.jpg

and 212 together with all the data that will help...

Polish_20260926_185820045.jpg
So now I do feel fix terrain under my feet.


Best wishes from Berlin Card Yard, Chris
 
Last edited:
Back
Top