Meet and Greet - Vienna modeling group around Willi Meischl, alias @schifferlbauer

Yesterday evening, after several months not able because of the Corona restrictions, we were able to see us once more.
It was good to see each other healthy and in good mood.
Willi allias @schifferlbauer , Stefan, Tibor and the first time also our member Markus alias @mstritzl joint the interesting talks - Hope to see Peter also next time.

I am not on the photos visible, but my section....
IMG-3531.jpg

IMG-3532.jpg

Willi in intensive talk about the stern construction of Stefans HMS Royal George
IMG-3524.jpg

IMG-3525.jpg

Stefan showed his heavy negative form of the Royal George - Heavy because appr. 50kg weight
IMG-3526.jpg

In the following some more impressions of this "model" - He made this negative hull form (still not finished) consisting of a huge number of plates to get the exact form of the later frames - a temporary sandwich construction secured by screws
At the end it will be a POF model completely out of boxwood

IMG-3527.jpg

IMG-3528.jpg

IMG-3529.jpg

IMG-3533.jpg

IMG-3534.jpg

IMG-3535.jpg

IMG-3536.jpg

Very interesting method Uwe.It reminds me of the way Narim Maygeldinov constructs POF builds.

He builds oversize frames joining together in the mitred "Hahn" style.These are then pinned together temporarily with the fixings falling inside the internal hull profile.The outside of the hull is shaped and faired.
The frames are then disassembled and the hull frame thickness scribed on both sides of each frame.The insides are then cut out using a coping saw by hand following the lines on both sides of the frame using a mirror.This gives a true bevel on each frame and means this method can be used in the absence of framing plans for the model.It is a long job,but so is drafting frames even if you use CAD.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Yes, was a very nice afternoon/evening, thanks again for the invitation Uwe!
I realy hope to meet you all at one of your monthly meetings, work will tell ;)

best regards, markus
Hallo Markus,
Alles Alles Gute zu deinem Geburtstag
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

One month gone and we had yesterday once more our monthly meeting - and it was very nice to see all the friends healthy

IMG-3788.jpg
from left to the right: Willi (alias @schifferlbauer), Tibor (Le Soleil Royal ), Stefan (working on a HMS Royal George in 1:48 in boxwood) and Peter (HMS Saint Albans)

IMG-3790.jpg
from left to right: Peter, Adolf and Markus alias @mstritzl

As mentioned Peter finalized already his work on the hull, so since some weeks he is working on the masts and yards of his scratch HMS Saint Albans in scale 1:72

Due to the fact, that a transport of the complete model is not so easy he showed us yesterday some of his handmade blocks and prepared yardarms
IMG-3774.jpg

He is making every block by himself
IMG-3775.jpg

and to also the yardarms are great - keeping in mind that the scale is only 1:72 - it is just amazing how he is doing these smallest blocks with appr. 1,5 to 2mm
IMG-3776.jpg

IMG-3777.jpg

IMG-3778.jpg

IMG-3779.jpg

IMG-3780.jpg

IMG-3781.jpg

IMG-3782.jpg

IMG-3784.jpg

IMG-3785.jpg

Tibor started with some carvings of his Le Soleil Royal (scale 1:78)
IMG-3787.jpg

IMG-3786.jpg

Looking forward to meet you all in one month .....

Hi Guys
IMG_0616 (Large).JPGIMG_0621 (Large).JPGIMG_0622.JPG
The Picture what Uwe show us, are the yards of the mainmast. Like Uwe mentioned, since Peter start to rigging his model St. Albans 1764 (1:72)
he can´t transport it from Villach (Kärnten) to Vienna, but Peter had sendet me photos of his model with the fully rigged foremast.

Cheers
Willi (schifferlbauer)

to Stephan:
I know you have enough of work for the next ten years, but some day it's time for carving. If you need pictures of the model in the NMM in Greenwich - here is an example. Ask for more.

L1070876.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Kalliboot

Thanks for your offer, but Stefan build not the Royal George of 1756, he is working on the model of Royal George 1715.
But if you have pictures it would help a lot. The problem is only that there exist two models of that ship 1715 and the are
different, one in the USA and the other in Germany009 Kopie Royal George (Large) (Large).jpg

kind regards
Willi (schifferlbauer)

Great progress, George. Do you use any pattern when gluing frame 'bits' together? Happy New Year!!

After a very long period we were not able, and due to the lockdown regulations not allowed to meet.
Yesterday it was first time possible to restart our monthly meetings, with talking about ships, showing the actual status of projects and off course drinking a beer or glass of wine.
Friends, it was great to see you again after this long time - and everybody is healthy, what is most important !!!!

The particpants were Willi (@schifferlbauer), Tibor showing is progress on his Soleil Royal, Stefan (@George I ) who is working on the framing of his HMS Royal George in 1:48 in boxwood and Peter (who finsihed some months ago the HMS Saint Albans and working now on his sailing boat and off course myself

Now the models:

Peters sailing boat - the model is a very complex scratch build, completely build in wood, the model is based on the original drawings and prospects of this boat. You have to know, that he owned and sailed this 1:1 boat in the past - BTW: he is planning to build next a RIVA in scratch :cool:

IMG-6410.jpg

IMG-6411.jpg

IMG-6412.jpg

IMG-6413.jpg

The status of the Soleil Royal under construction by Tibor - he made very good progress

IMG-6416.jpg

He is making all carvings directly on the ship model
IMG-6418.jpg

IMG-6419.jpg

IMG-6415.jpg

IMG-6420.jpg

all the gunports on the model are made with the same accuracy like these two
IMG-6421.jpg

- also take a look at the nailing made out of 0,2mm steel wire
IMG-6422.jpg

the complete hull is in the meantime nailed
IMG-6423.jpg

The model of Stefan, the 1:48 HMS Royal George, is in the meantime not so easy to transport, but he showed the beautifull boxwood material he is using for the frame construction

IMG-6424.jpg

IMG-6425.jpg

In order, that you all get an impression of the complete model, here you can find a photo made some weeks ago
stefan.jpg

I hope really, that I was able to convince him to start a building log here in SOS
....... language is not an obstacle - often photos are telling us more tahn thousand words

and my small model of the Le Coureur was also with me

IMG-6426.jpg

Hope to see again in one month, hopefully also with Markus @mstritzl and maybe other modelers and / or members of SOS - everybody interested in ship modeling is welcome - we meet every last Thursday of the month in the 20th district of Vienna

Back