Metal decorations ZHL Le Soleil Royal

Anyone know of of a company or person who can mold in resin? the metal decorations at least the large heavy ones

You could try a product called sculpey. Its a plastic putty used for decorations.
in addition you could use a Dremel and grind down the thickness of the cast metal decorations so they are not so chunky. .

You could try a product called sculpey. Its a plastic putty used for decorations.
in addition you could use a Dremel and grind down the thickness of the cast metal decorations so they are not so chunky. .
Yes I thought about doing that grinding down the parts

Ahoy!

Unfortunately, we do not have any decors for the Soleil Royal model and we have no plans to design it in the near future :-(

I am going to try that I have used resins before it is worth a try

Anyone know of of a company or person who can mold in resin? the metal decorations at least the large heavy ones
I make replicas of full sized plaques and builders plates from British railway locomotives. I borrow original plates from a locomotives, make a wooden box th hold the plate and seal a perforate lid onto the open box, then pour two part silicone rubber t through the hoes in the lid to fill the box, once set, (1 to 2 days), I remeot the bottom of the box and the original plate which leaves a cavity in the rubber with all the detail of the plate.
I then mix a two part polyurethane resin, using one part resin A, two parts talc or marble filler, and one part resin B, mix completely and pour into the cavity to fill but NOT over fill the cavity. Leave for one hour to harden then remove the resin casting from the mould.
In your case, the metal casting can be used as Masters IF they are very good in detail and accuracy. IF not then the hard part is to carve new parts as masters either in a fruit wood, apple or pear wood preferably. Alternatively use wax and carve that to make a master. It canbe very detail ed and time consuming to make masters, but is extremely satisfying when done successfully.

If you need more information on rubber for mould making, or resins for castings, please do not hesitate to ask, I can give yo udetails, and some pictues of the moulds and process I use if you wish.
Best wishes
Derek Payne, Stafford, England.

I tried the Dremel grinding bit. No luck. Too hard. Heat gun makes it easy to shape and fit the metal parts. You’ll definitely need one on the metal bow parts. I would try it on the aft pieces first. If you’re bound and determined to use resin, you might want to look at Jay’s @Jay SR. That’s what he’s doing. Takes a bit of time, though.

I make replicas of full sized plaques and builders plates from British railway locomotives. I borrow original plates from a locomotives, make a wooden box th hold the plate and seal a perforate lid onto the open box, then pour two part silicone rubber t through the hoes in the lid to fill the box, once set, (1 to 2 days), I remeot the bottom of the box and the original plate which leaves a cavity in the rubber with all the detail of the plate.
I then mix a two part polyurethane resin, using one part resin A, two parts talc or marble filler, and one part resin B, mix completely and pour into the cavity to fill but NOT over fill the cavity. Leave for one hour to harden then remove the resin casting from the mould.
In your case, the metal casting can be used as Masters IF they are very good in detail and accuracy. IF not then the hard part is to carve new parts as masters either in a fruit wood, apple or pear wood preferably. Alternatively use wax and carve that to make a master. It canbe very detail ed and time consuming to make masters, but is extremely satisfying when done successfully.

If you need more information on rubber for mold making, and the please do not hesitate to ask, I can give yo udetails, and some pictues of the moulds and process I use if you wish.
Best wishes
Derek Payne, Stafford, England.
I have purchased the supplies to make the rubber molds and resin to make the castings I have never done this before but am excited about trying! the parts I am going to reproduce are not great for masters but will do where these parts install are under the poop decks of the ship and are not that visible the main reason I am replacing these parts is due to the extreme weight of the original metal parts!! I read an article about making castings on this site and he used clay to make the reservoirs to hold the silicone rubber mold material. I am interested in your process using 2 parts talc, marble filler added to the resin mixture?? Why that is used? and any other info you can help me with
Thanks in advance Bandido

I have an idea if you're open to alternatives; find the bottes ( side galleries) and stern part including all the small statues from a Heller 1/100 scale kit; send all of what you need to a 3d printing place and ask them to reproduce all of them in the scale you're model is; When you get it back, you can cut out the decors and statues you wish to install; Heller has the most accurate stern decors for the Soleil Royal and if you want a precise decor, it's the way to go.....You can also try with the sides, but it would be a harder task, besides the fact that section of decor on the kit is totally wrong for the Soleil Royal.....
If you can read some French, I can send you a document on the Soleil Royal and the other royal ships of Louis XIV I made which can help guide you...

If you want to go that way; I have a complete extra kit in my possession....

I have an idea if you're open to alternatives; find the bottes ( side galleries) and stern part including all the small statues from a Heller 1/100 scale kit; send all of what you need to a 3d printing place and ask them to reproduce all of them in the scale you're model is; When you get it back, you can cut out the decors and statues you wish to install; Heller has the most accurate stern decors for the Soleil Royal and if you want a precise decor, it's the way to go.....You can also try with the sides, but it would be a harder task, besides the fact that section of decor on the kit is totally wrong for the Soleil Royal.....
If you can read some French, I can send you a document on the Soleil Royal and the other royal ships of Louis XIV I made which can help guide you...
Hello Guy
I am interested by the document you are mentioning above
Can you send it to me?
My email address is gilbert.meldener@hotmail.com
Merci d'avance

My name is Guy:))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) Marc is one of the other person on this site with a modified version of the ship; he went his own way on it:)

Y a pas de problèmes:))))
Si vous avez des questions sur le document ou sur le sujet, vous êtes le bienvenu:)

Back