Method of stowage - ballast and ground tier in the hold etc.

Iron Ballast

View attachment 61877 View attachment 61878
A shaped piece of iron ore, probably used as ballast on H.M. Armed Vessel 'Bounty'. For online access text please see the 'Notebook' field within the 'Mail' icon.
Read more at http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/63330.html#GsXYtXkSwYOHhMO9.99

Interestingly the Brit RN also used large lumps of Flint as ballast, here in Australia it can be found along our East coast beaches sometimes, although nowadays rounded into Sugar Loaf like configuration (probably from the tide and sand wear over a couple of hundred years). I've collected some of them and can provide images if anyones interested.

Interestingly the Brit RN also used large lumps of Flint as ballast, here in Australia it can be found along our East coast beaches sometimes, although nowadays rounded into Sugar Loaf like configuration (probably from the tide and sand wear over a couple of hundred years). I've collected some of them and can provide images if anyones interested.
Yes please - would be interesting to see

Yes please - would be interesting to see

Please forgive my absents, I'll dig through my shed here and find them, I still have a few in a canvas bag.
I build Flintlock Rifles and Smoothbores as well, so Flint is an ongoing interest of mine.

Back