Micro Shapers / scrapers for producing / molding micro profiles

Uwek

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

I found a hint to a small but seems to be very helpful tool offered by Artesania Latina, which could be of interest for some of you friends!
I guess similar scrapers / shapers are available from other producers also......here are the information from their web-page

These Micro Shapers A are the perfect tool for molding all kinds of miniatures: boats, buildings, dollhouses... 2 different sets of micro shapers (sold separately A and B): each one has 3 plates with 15/16 different shapes per plate. It belongs to the Micro Tools Collection.

micro-shapers-a-wooden-plastic-models-miniatures (2).pngmicro-shapers-a-wooden-plastic-models-miniatures (3).pngmicro-shapers-a-wooden-plastic-models-miniatures (4).png

HIGH QUALITY MICRO SHAPERS
The Micro Shapers A are a unique tool in high quality stainless steel designed by the technical team of Artesanía Latina, from the Micro Tools Collection.
This set of micro shapers allows you to shape / profile wooden and plastic strips. It is perfect for creating moldings with different shapes to decorate their models.
Each set consists of three plates with about 15/16 shapes per plate, so you can get more than 45 different reliefs and designs on your miniatures.
The tool works by scrapping the shape along and over a wooden or platic strip. You can watch video tutorial below.

The using of the shapers is shown in a video

micro-shapers-a-wooden-plastic-models-miniatures.png

The measures you can find in the micro shapers type A are:
0.040''x0.118'' (1x3 mm)
0.040''x0.157'' (1x4 mm)
0.040''x0.196'' (1x5 mm)
0.078''x0.078'' (2x2 mm)
0.078''x0.157'' (2x4 mm)
0.078''x0.196' (2x5 mm)
0.157''x0.157'' (4x4 mm).

The measures you can find in the Micro Shapers type B are:
0.059''x0.118'' (1,5x3 mm)
0.059''x0.157'' (1,5x4 mm)
0.059''x0.196'' (1,5x5 mm)
0.078''x0.118'' (2x3 mm)
0.118''x0.118'' (3x3 mm)
0.078''x0.196'' (3x5 mm)
0.196''x0.196'' (5x5 mm).

see at Artesania web-page:

https://www.artesanialatina.net/en/162-micro-tools-for-modeling

I have this set of tools and they are fantastic. They are very thin so using a lot of pressure will distort the shapes if you let the tool do the work over many passes you will get the best result

The only problem is the scale,to large ,good for scale 1/48 and up 1/32,1/24 and such,if you want srapers to make moldings for smaller modells you have to make them yourself.

... if you want scrapers to make mouldings for smaller models you have to make them yourself.[/QUOTE]

I think for experienced modeller make a scraper shouldn't be a problem. I made my own out of an old\brocken hacksaw blades. I will discuss the method of creating those scrapers in my Charles Royal Yacht log. For those who cannot make one I found those on e-bay. They are 1.5 - 3.0mm

IMG_2255.jpegIMG_2256.jpeg

Thanks, Ron. Once we move into planking the hull, I will explain how I make scrapers and mouldings. Promise!!:cool:

Not that I know for certain but I feel that given moderate use they'll wear out after a time. They 'are' stainless steel and tough as nails for being so thin but I think the idea of using hacksaw blades etc would be great. A good quality scraper might be good too and could be sharpened very easily. I'm going to sacrifice an old one I have here and try making one :)

how log do these stay sharp and once dull do you toss them out?

Hi Dave,

I would not consider those as a quality tool. Convenient - yes, cheap - yea. They were made out of steel, but what kind of steel? I took my needle file, and file along with the edge. Indeed, I was able to file a corner. This is definitely not a machined steel as you would see on hacksaw blades. The scraper is 0.25mm thin, I don't see you can sharpen it, and don't think it worth the try. looks like it is a stamped part, and it doesn't have a proper cutting angle. For basswod, the result might be OK, but any hardwood most likely fail.

IMG_2261.jpeg

I found a hint to a small but seems to be very helpful tool offered by Artesania Latina, which could be of interest for some of you friends!
I guess similar scrapers / shapers are available from other producers also....

I wonder if these can be heated up and quenched to harden them or if it depends on the steel used to make them

Back