Micrometer set screw for Proxxon FKS/E table saw

When working with my present project, I needed very accurate planks with even height. First I tried to set the fence of my Proxxon saw manually, but it is very frustrating to have it set within a few hundreds of a millimeter.
So i decided to make this small gadget to simplify the setting. The only thing what was needed was to mill two pieces of aluminium, and cut threads into them for set screw and locking screw. The thread of set screw is M6x1, so that one revolution extends the screw with one millimeter. The head of the screw has 10 divisions so that one division represents 0,1 mm movement. The set screw only pushes the fence, it is not threaded into it, which makes it easy to remove the gadget after the fence is set. With this equipment i can now easily adjust the width of planks in about 0,05 mm accuracy.7978179782

Moxi's exciting adapter you've made, which model is your saw ?, maybe you can show how the adapter works.

Hi Norway, my saw is of type FKS/E. To operate the set screw you adjust the fence near the width you want and make a test sawing & measure how near you are. Lets assume that you get 2 mm width, but you would like to have 2,5 mm.
Then you glide the gadget into the fence so that the point of set screw just touches the fence. You lock the gadget into the table, using that black knob and open the locking of the fence. Now you rotate the set screw with 5 divisions so that the screw pushes fence 0,5 mm forward and lock the fence. Make again a test sawing. That should show that you are pretty close to 2,5 mm which was your target.
I hope you understand what I try to explain, if not please ask.

And here is a picture of the saw, Proxxon FKS/E:

Moxis, when I look at the picture of the case you have, I understand why you made this gadget,
I have the model called Proxxon FET it you can sideadjust (mm) to the desired thickness and
then lock with a wing nut at the front of the table. I have posted photos of my tools
on one of my threads.
Thanks for the quick response!.

Went to the Proxon site to see maybe a better picture of the saw. What I saw was a piece of wood, one end against the fence and the other end against a part on the top of the left end support. Boy, is that dangerous.

EJ

I have the model called Proxxon FET it you can sideadjust (mm) to the desired thickness and
then lock with a wing nut at the front of the table.

That's right Knut, you have a newer version of the saw. It has already this possibility as stock. But we others who have an older version are more unlucky. We have to rely on manual adjusting of the fence, which is sometimes quite frustrating when trying to set a few fractions of a millimetre.

I hate to ask, but do you by any chance have a drawing of the two pieces with the measurements? Thanks,
Alex

Hello Alex, unfortunately there are no drawings. I made the pieces with same dimensions as are the ones with original fence. In this way locking them into the table edge is easy.

Moxis, completely forgot your question about vacuum cleaner problem / adapter.
I have a powerful vacuum cleaner that takes both dust and water, can also turn the hose to the back and blow.
Some images from different angles, also tilted to 45%.
At the end of the shooting, the adapter brake.
It was quickly attached with a little super glue.

Hope the pictures show what you were looking for.
Hilsen-

Hi Knut. Thanks for pictures. Funny thing, I have exactly same Kärcher vacuum cleaner as you. And it seems that the new Proxxon saw is much better designed than the old one. For instance the upper part does not tilt like yours, so cleaning of inner parts is more complicated. Also the hole for vac hose has same strangled part as yours, so I had to dismantle it completely and file the hole bigger to receive the vac hose. But still there remain some dust which has to be removed by unscrewing a little cover at the bottom of the saw. I quess Byrnes table saw would have been much better purchase than Proxxon, but now i have to live with that.

Moxis, here in scandinavia, we have to cope with the proxxon as best we can, the byrnes is becoming too expensive.

Moxis, here in scandinavia, we have to cope with the proxxon as best we can, the byrnes is becoming too expensive.
My new Proxxon FET micro fence adjustment is giving me fits. I cannot really understand zeroing the blade and the combination of the knob and lever settings to work off of zero to what I want to change. It is trial and error so far with references to the instructions which I cannot get straight. Maybe your explanation will work better. FYI my Swedish ancestors came from Grangesberg in Dalarna back around 1870 to the mines in Colorado and principally Aspen. Tack sa mycket! PT-2

@ PT-2, when I use my saw I always try with a piece of scrap wood to make sure I get the right size, do not completely trust the fine settings that are on the saw, so you can talk Svenk too, nice, greeting-

Back