Milling ops with no mill ?

a few years ago i met this model builder on line he was just starting out with a drive and passion and still has a passion for the art. He was having a difficult time visualizing how bow timbers fit into the hull. I drew him a quick 3D model and said here this is what it looks like. From that in counter with don he saw the light, This is the future of the hobby. It was Don who pushed me deeper and deeper into learning 3D modeling.

about how much joinery goes into a hull? and can i should i try by hand or mill. There is a lot of joinery and tight fitting pieces and parts. Let me show you just the keel structure of an up coming project. Like i said to don years ago "this is what it looks like"

you were right Don and this is how far the hobby is

keelt1.jpg

here is the joinery at the end of the keel

keelt3.jpg

a close up of the U plate

keelt7.jpg

a lot of notches and the rising wood tapers

keelt6.jpg

hook scarfs and that pieces of the keelson

keelt5.jpg

couple more pieces

keel4.jpgkeelt2.jpg

More great info, thanks. Understood. I’m not one for 3D anything but if others do it and it helps me that’s great. Yea chisels do dull but that’s an area I enjoy and take particular pride in, my sharpening skills.
Granted quite a few joints just in the keel itself. Like you said it’s a choice to make, mill it or do it by hand. We’ll see. I can always drill press mill or use my lathe to mill which is awkward but can be done. I’ll see how the cross section attempt works out for me then decide I think. Thanks

More great info, thanks. Understood. I’m not one for 3D anything but if others do it and it helps me that’s great. Yea chisels do dull but that’s an area I enjoy and take particular pride in, my sharpening skills.

getting a good cutting edge is a skill in itself i for one never master it. i watch the TV program Forged in Fire and the judges are always making comments on the edge geometry and getting that razor sharp edge.
Back in the day when my brother and i had the tree service and lumber business we had one guy Wolfgang who's job it was to keep all the chains, ax, hatchet or anything that needed a sharp edge Wolf was the guy a massive 260 some pound German who could put a razor sharp edge on a plastic knife.

getting a good cutting edge is a skill in itself i for one never master it. i watch the TV program Forged in Fire and the judges are always making comments on the edge geometry and getting that razor sharp edge.
Back in the day when my brother and i had the tree service and lumber business we had one guy Wolfgang who's job it was to keep all the chains, ax, hatchet or anything that needed a sharp edge Wolf was the guy a massive 260 some pound German who could put a razor sharp edge on a plastic knife.
Yes it’s just something I learned as a kid through trial and error. Im a big fan of Tommy Mac now there’s a Master woodworker. A pleasure to watch real masters at their craft

Back