Mini Vacuum Cleaner

My workbench often gets dirty with lots of sawdust, filings, and snipped bits. It is a pain to move all the tools, paint tins, and other materials out of the way before brushing the rubbish away. Recently remembered how the RAAF Avionics workbench had a vacuum line. With a small hose attached, we could quickly zip around our immediate space, with a small hose, to get rid of foreign materials (as we called them). We made for ourselves a dust trap, fitted just before the vacuum line connector. This was to catch anything accidentally sucked up, like a small screw.

Last night, I decided to recreate such a tool for my workbench.
Don't laugh at my vacuum cleaner. I know it's 20 years old, but it still does the job really well.

YM5V5iG.jpg

MuztkJe.jpg

Tested the mini-vac on the kitchen bread board. All sucked up breadcrumbs can be seen in the trap.

Copycat.
I like my small Vac because it's handy on the work table. It has a small hose just for sucking up the dirt. . . and not my tools with it :D:D:D.

Thanks mate.

Thank you all for your responses. Glad that it is of interest to other modellers.

Please note that my drawing leaves out a length of hose from under the trap lid to about an inch from the bottom. It can be seen in the photographs. The hose was placed in to ensure deposits would be left on the bottom. If you like, you could add a small fly-screen filter over the intake tube of trap (vacuum cleaner end).

Hello Peter,I need to buy a Cyclone but I have so many other stuff to buy first,maybe one day.

Thanks Swabbie / Peter for posting that. Pictures of build and everything - nice !!!

Donnie

Hello Peter,I need to buy a Cyclone but I have so many other stuff to buy first,maybe one day.
Hello Zoltan. You make it out as if I was trying to sell you a Cyclone dust collection system. Better to talk to Greg about that ;).
I only showed how to make your own vacuum trap while still using your own vacuum cleaner. Nothing to buy really (except for hose).
Unless your referring to another vac cleaner for your work space.

Luckily I don't have to share the vacuum cleaner with a partner, so I can have it in my work area without upsetting anybody else.

Back