Miss Morris

The following link shows a rather sad cine film shot from U35 during the Great War: https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060023104 After the link opens, click on reel two where the small image shows a sinking sailing ship. Move it along to 7 minutes 36 seconds, and you will see the U Boat approaching the Miss Morris under full sail, but not making much speed. In these calm conditions, the Miss Morris did not have a chance. The U Boat commander allowed all the crew of the schooner to launch their boat and get clear. They then boarded, and placed an explosive charge down the hold. From the time the schooner's forceastle dipped under the sea, to the tip of the mizzen mast disappearing beneath the sea was about 29 seconds. A very sad sight indeed. The sinking took place in the Mediterranean, not far from land, so all the crew were able to make it to safety.
Bob

More progress, and now the main and mizzen masts are complete with all their sails and rigging. The next task will be to set and rig the jibs and staysails on the foremast, and finally, the three square topsails on the foremast. The model itself is now almost complete, but I have done very little on the display case and sea on account of the freezing cold weather that requires some work to be done outside.
Bob

58 (Large).JPG

Another gem, Bob. I know you get a little despondent now and then, but I for one look forward to your builds. This one includes progress photo's which bring it to life as a hobby. Just love how you've kept your faith with a lifetime of enthusiasm.

Thanks - I don't get all that despondent!:) I tend to slow down in winter because the weather often prevents me from working outside. Really, I do not want kit manufacturers to start encroaching on my territory of merchant ship models. I prefer it to be the realm of only a very few. I know that I am pretty much "Bush League," but it suits me, as I was never very keen on warships - give me a rank-and-file merchant ship any day!:D I often wonder why I keep trying to interest modellers in merchant navy, but I keep on anyway!:) I find that reading about one sea battle is pretty much like another!o_O
Bob

Last edited:
I have now completed all the fore-and-aft sails, and the model is looking a lot more balanced now. The next task is to complete the standing rigging on the foremast, set and rig the three square topsails on the foremast. I am getting a bit tired of sailing ships now, so the next one will have to be a steamer.
Bob
61 (Large).JPG

Welsh topsail schooner Miss Morris - Monday, 19th January, 2020 - The three square topsails have now been set on the foremast, but still need to be rigged. Probably less than an hours work left now on the ship itself, but still quite a lot to do on the display case and base.
69 (Large).JPG71 (Large).JPG

Welsh topsail schooner Miss Morris - 16 feet to 1 inch.
I completed the rigging this morning. The total time spent on this model so far is just under 37 hours, timed on a stopwatch. Work began on the 20th October last, and during that time, I worked on the model for 28 days, with numerous days off. The display case and base have been assembled, but a fair amount of work needs to be done on them.
At this time of year, the light conditions are seldom ideal for photography!
Miss Morris rigged (Large).JPGMiss Morris in hand (Large).JPG

The paper sails were moulded round an ostrich egg whilst wet, and dried with a small heat gun to produce the wind-filled effect - It is more obvious in #27 above -
Bob

Last edited:
With the model in your hand, it seems larger than I imagined, the pen doesn't give the same impression.
Please remind me, Bob, which glue do you use to fit the wire rigging and do you use the same to fit the paper sails? Looking forward to the finishing touches.

Back