Mississippi River Boat by MOG – OcCre 1:80 [COMPLETED BUILD]

MOG

Hello after a lengthy time away working on 1914-1918 Army Mule drawn ambulance 1:16, ready to start a new ship build. I want to add led lighting to this build however uncharted waters for me can anyone put me in the right direction on types, companies, or anyone who has some experience here. Thanks MOG
Pic of the new build coming soon
Just a quick pic of my Ambulance

I’m very grateful to Greg Krenzelok and U.S. ARMY VETERINARY CORPS HISTORICAL PRESERVATION GROUP and the 27th Infantry Society for telling my grandfather’s story.

amb1x.JPG

mm3.JPG

First OcCre kit, basically a build with some good opportunities to experiment with. First impressions are it looks to be a well-made kit. Really like they have included just about all the hardware you need supplied in two nice compartmented plastic cases, very useful.. This kit supplies Sapelli wood for some of planking, not being a big fan of this type as I find it does not react well to heat planking of course it could be the builder also, in any case I normally don’t use it for planking, however I broke the bank,(really big time) on the PT105 build, so this build I have to make do with what I have and try to stay on budget ??

So the start basically a simple frame, false keel, deck work, plus double planking the small hull, single plank the flat bottom. decided to rough up the lower deck as its pretty much a working deck, did I mention the Sapelli thing msr1.JPGmsr2.JPGmsr3.JPGmsr4.JPGmsr5.JPGmsr6.JPGmsr7.JPG

Before you go much further in the build, you might want to figure out what and where you plan to add lights.

Most builders run power wires up from underneath, alongside a pedestal or if you use an extra one you can go up the hole in middle with wires and nobody knows.

But you have to come out in hidden area of structure on deck so you can then spread wires to structures you want lit up.

Several good posts where builders have wired models with LEDs, they may have a good source for what is needed.

Thanks Kurt good info always appreciated. The light kits are on the way , I have roughly worked the wiring layout on the plans. putting the lower deck aside for now, working on prefabbing the lower cabins more to follow

Good morning- I enjoy the river boats. Is there a link re for Grandads story- you have perk my interest. Jan is building the Chaperon and it a super interesting build to follow. Cheers enjoy.

Updating the progress, as this is mainly a just for fun build , moving at a simple pace, experimenting with a few things along the way. Not really following the plans. Not a big fan of precast parts so I cover, replace, or toss as needed Have redid the doors & frames and the stage area. Did a makeover of the furniture, felt tops and wood strips attempting to give a used look? more to follow on the figurespb1.JPGpb2.JPGpb3.JPGpb4.JPG

I am building the AL newer version of the King of Mississippi and the instructions have pages to show how to illuminate this version.
I tried to provide a link but it is too big. Just download version 20515 from AL.
Hope this helps you

Last edited:
Back