Mitutoyo Calipers..., Buying The Real Deal?

My condolences Jimsky,

I never knew there were counterfeit Mitutoyo.

I agree Mitutoyo make really nice equipment, and you have to pay for it.

If it is too good to be true it probably isn't true.

Are you still going to buy a Mitutoyo Vernier calliper?

The 6" calliper is priced fairly well.

Cheers,
Stephen.
Chinese counterfeit Mitutoyo tools are EVERYWHERE, including Amazon and eBay. If the price seems low, you almost ALWAYS are looking at a fake tool.

Hi Jim,
Congrats with the real one. Nice you shows the comparison.
Little question: Did you scanned the little QR-code on the back of the MitutQya?
I think it goes to the page of the seller: She can take it back, she will take it back some day.
Regards, Peter
Thanks, Peter! I tried to scan this little QR code on both, unfortunately, neither one can be read with my iPhone QR reader app. The reader works for other QR codes, though.

Chinese counterfeit Mitutoyo tools are EVERYWHERE, including Amazon and eBay. If the price seems low, you almost ALWAYS are looking at a fake tool.
You are correct, Kurt. But the high price is no guarantee you will buy the legitimate. The only guarantee is to buy from Mitutoyo distributers.

. . or you can get it from your father when he retires. That was 35 years ago now. It's a keepsake. Back then there was no internet and orders were placed through reputable tool dealer. The caliper is too accurate for woodworking and I have always used my 1/10 mm caliper.

Best regards
Thomas
That's a great experience, Thomas, and yet another proof of a great product made by a trusted\reputable brand.

Here is mine, MK25, from my father. It is my fellow...1964 and made in a country which doesn't exist anymore (USSR). But it is as much precision as when it was born.
IMG_2096.jpeg

Hello Jim
You will grow to love your new Mitutoyo calibers. My company gave me a set 25 to 30 years ago for my company work. I found them to be very high quantity, and easy to work with. The battery seams to last for ever even when it is left on over night accidentally many times, ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Jim
You will grow to love your new Mitutoyo calibers. My company gave me a set 25 to 30 years ago for my company work. I found them to be very high quantity, and easy to work with. The battery seams to last for ever even when it is left on over night accidentally many times, ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence
Many thanks, Lawrence! I already in 'full motion' enjoying the instrument. As you mentioned, It is made to last long so we can have peace of mind at least measuring.

Hello Jim, Yes these are great, I also have a set of Starrett mikes # 204 that are very accurate in dead. I have a set of digital read out but find them a bit awkward and clumsy to use, how ever I very seldom use these instruments and resort to my calibers.
Regards Lawrence

Moore & Wright were the Rolls-Royce of measuring gear in the UK, I had a micrometer & a vernier caliper by them - no digital nonsense then! Good eyesight & a steady hand were needed, just to read them! The big advantage of digital is the switching between metric & imperial - although all my training & operational use was metric, I still occasionally have to use Imperial!
My digital caliper is an el cheapo - - not trying to pretend to be something fancy, cost me, < £10 ( $14 ) accurate enough for hobby work!
I think reading verniers may be becoming a lost art, just like how to use a slide rule!
Dave

Hallo jim,
DiD you also compare the measurement correctness ?
Most Important is the measurement....... so 12.000 cm compared to 12.0000 cm of something like this
Would be interesting to See ......

Hallo jim,
DiD you also compare the measurement correctness ?
Most Important is the measurement....... so 12.000 cm compared to 12.0000 cm of something like this
Would be interesting to See ......
Monday, I received the gage blocks, I am planning to do the comparison. Stay tuned.

Alright, folks. This is the last posting in regards to the Mitutoyo real deal. Monday, I have received some gage blocks. 50mm and 10mm from China, while 95mm, 5.0mm, and 1,08mm from Russia. The Russian gauges have a mirror-like surface, their Chinese siblings - mate\glass finish.

600_2341.jpg

So to the actual tests. I will post series of images where on the left will be fake Mitutoyo and on the right the Real deal. We will start with a 95mm gauge

600_2330.jpg 600_2333.jpg

Now a 5.0mm gauge

600_2331.jpg 600_2336.jpg

now a 1.08mm gauge

600_2332.jpg 600_2334.jpg

the last test on the 50mm gauge block.

600_2338.jpg 600_2337.jpg

As we can see, in all tests a fake instrument fails to measure the exact readings, while Mitutoyo does read all gauses correctly. Yes, the difference in reading a quite small, but they are persistent for all gauges. To see how much difference it is, the last measurement I made in an imperial system.
50mm = 1.9685 inch (decimal). See the results.

600_2339.jpg 600_2343.jpg

Well...I hope this was an informative and educational topic. It is in no way a recommendation to buy only Mitutoyo calipers, there are many other reputable brands for measuring instruments, the choice is always yours, but...if you make a decision to buy Mitutoyo - buy only from their distributors. You will have peace of mind, and a lifetime precision measurement tool.

thank you for all your comments and likes!

I calibrate these for a living as an aerospace quality tech. I knew the fake was not real right away. The word "absolute" was not on the removable battery cover and the serial number decal was not correct , plus the missing fourth digit in the display gives it away. . It's amazing how close they can get them.

Back