Mizen topgallant mast

That looks great. It looks like my scarf joint turned out well and should work for this. Better that remaking the entire mast anyway. Did you already have a drawing for a 29' mast or did you adapt one to fit. I'm beginning to think that you are putting way to much time into my ship. I sure appreciate it though :)

That looks great. It looks like my scarf joint turned out well and should work for this. Better that remaking the entire mast anyway. Did you already have a drawing for a 29' mast or did you adapt one to fit. I'm beginning to think that you are putting way to much time into my ship. I sure appreciate it though :)
The masts are proportional so I just enlarged the Investigators 26' mast.
No problems Don.

Well that particular painting was done by Steve Mayo in 2012 so it could have a guess on the artists part. Allan came up with the real clue. The period paintings kind of clinched once I knew what I was looking for. It had never crossed my mind that the topmast and topgallant mast would be combined into one. One thing that is interesting is that this picture that you posted, along with 3 or 4 other modern pictures, show the same combo mast. So either artist copy each other or do lots of research.

PS This painting is apparently the only stern view of the Discovery1789 so nobody knows what the stern looks like. It says on Steve Mayo's web site that he got the info for the stern from someone in England. Apparently in some museum there is an original period painting of the Discovery from the stern when she was moored on the trip from the shipyard to Deptford. Something like that anyway. I have tried to contact Mayo with no luck and have sent e-mails to various museums with some answers but no luck on finding the painting. Maybe this little aside will strike a chord with someone.

Steve Mayo's painting is very good. He has the topmast backstay correct to the stool. I think his topmast pole is too short.
Here is the other picture with a 29' foot long pole topmast superimposed in position. It is drawn much fatter to make it clear.
The halliard sheaves line up well. I think this is as good as you can estimate.
Note also the main topgallant mast. ditto the pole length.
Contemporary images are always better. Artistic licence did not exist then, They were there to record actual visions although sometimes a bit clumsy.
I am definitely not criticising Mayo’s painting but keep in mind you are looking at someone else's interpretation. He would have done his research and had different conclusions.
The same goes for my efforts. Open to conjecture.

Regards
Allan

Illustration_of_the_sailing_vessel_DISCOVERY_in_Puget_Sound_aft.jpg

So now I'm back to where I was before I stared this thread but with the right masting. I was concerned that I was going to have to redo all the shrouds and ratlines. I pushed out the fid and dropped the mast and all the rigging slipped off the top just like a real ship. I had to slacken the backstays and stay to get the new mast back in but everything seems to look as it should, I think. Holler if you see something wrong.

DSC04821.JPG

Back