Model Expo News Model Expo news and products!

MY SUGGESTION IS SIEGE WEAPONS THROUGH TH AGES GREEK, ROMAN MIDEVIL PERIOD EARLIER OR LATER !
All of the Italian made models of siege engines are historically inaccurate to the point of fantasy. I have thoroughly researched siege artillery, and have built a successful Greek ballista, one of only a few in the world that actually functions properly. Most information found on siege engines comes from artists renditions, not historical documentation such as the artillery manuals written by Heron of Alexandria, Philon of Byzantium, and Marco Polio Vitruvius of Rome.

If anyone here is interested, I could point you to the correct historical documents required to construct an ancient siege engine. Information on medieval siege engines is almost nonexistent except for the trebuchet.

This ballista and the schematics below are my work. I am the soldier on the left.
1699694902178.png

1699694943991.png

1699695011989.jpeg

1699695049748.png

Last edited:
That is awesome! Thank you for sharing!
All of the Italian made models of siege engines are historically, as in accurate to the point of fantasy. I have thoroughly researched siege artillery and have built a successful Greek ballista, one of only a few in the world that actually function properly most information found on siege engines comes from artist, renditions, not historical documentation, such as the artillery manuals, written by Heron of Alexandria, Philon of Byzantium, and Marco Polio Vitruvius of Rome.

If anyone here is interested, I could point you to the correct historical documents required to construct an ancient siege engine. Information on medieval siege engines is almost nonexistent except for the trebuchet.

This ballista and the schematics below are my work. I am the soldier on the left.
View attachment 406178

View attachment 406179

View attachment 406180

View attachment 406181

All of the Italian made models of siege engines are historically inaccurate to the point of fantasy. I have thoroughly researched siege artillery, and have built a successful Greek ballista, one of only a few in the world that actually functions properly. Most information found on siege engines comes from artists renditions, not historical documentation such as the artillery manuals written by Heron of Alexandria, Philon of Byzantium, and Marco Polio Vitruvius of Rome.

View attachment 406178

View attachment 406179

View attachment 406180

View attachment 406181
Wow! Now thing are becoming serious!

Just Query and perhaps a suggestion. Is there currently (or has there been) anyone, company, or group engaged in developing models of Leonardo DaVinci's many inventions as kits for modelers? I imagine that among your many fans of your series of historic stick and string ships, aircraft, historic artillery and wooden wheeled vehicles, there is a market for such well-designed kits of Leonardo's many imaginative engineering suppositions. ;)

Pete

Just Query and perhaps a suggestion. Is there currently (or has there been) anyone, company, or group engaged in developing models of Leonardo DaVinci's many inventions as kits for modelers? I imagine that among your many fans of your series of historic stick and string ships, aircraft, historic artillery and wooden wheeled vehicles, there is a market for such well-designed kits of Leonardo's many imaginative engineering suppositions. ;)

Pete
The Italians made wooden models of many of Da Vinci's conceptual creations from his drawings. None of them work in the real world as conceived, but many could ALMOST function if Da Vinci had access to modern materials. The concepts in his drawings were centuries ahead of his time. A British museum years ago called me and asked me if they could commission my services in building a siege engine based on Da Vinci's springald, a machine that used a bent arm like a bow limb to cast stones. I turned them down, and when they asked me why, I told them it would be equivalent to making a 747 airliner out of clay, and it would never work. If I build a siege engine, it HAS to have a chance at being functional or I have no interest.

Attention, Crew Members!

As the year ends, we have to do an Inventory Check. A tedious, dreadful task.
To make it easier (yes, we can get lazy :)) we are running a Inventory Wipeout, to get rid of the overstock and slow movers.
40-90% OFF

Some excellent opportunities, like ZHL's Marmara and Bonhomme Richard Cross section, each for $169.99 - less than what we paid for!!!

Click here for the Inventory Wipeout

Inventory_Wipeout.png

OK NEED HELP BIG TIME BEFORE YOU GO ON HOLIDAY ON 12/18/2023 I PURCHASED A ANCRE BOOK APPROX. $75.00 PAID BY PAY PAL TRANS NO. 37674172VY9599014 WHEN I GO TO TRACKING NO. IT SAYS ERROR AND I DO NOTN KNOW WHAT HAPPENED PLEASE HELP. HIT ME BACK. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON FARR

Don,

You should log in to your MedelExpo account, and copy/paste the tracking number directly into FedEx's website tracking page. It should work. Clicking the tracking number from PayPal or their website never seems to work.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Reg

Back