• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

Model Realism

Joined
May 15, 2026
Messages
91
Points
78

Hello , I was looking at this site and the ships made by this artist and I am impressed by the realism of those, in your opinion , what is that make them look so realistic in materials?

For example the ships even if artistic , seems ready to ride the seas , the saisl look real , and so on ... apart the undoubtfull ability of the artist what is that actually makes those ships look so realistic? and how to achieve a similar result with wood, materials and sails?


 
I'm sorry to disappoint you, but those models are far from realistic and are more in a realm of folk art(in my opinion). At those price I would demand much higher quality. Yes the quality of photos is indeed very high, but the objects them self .........:rolleyes:
In my humble opinion if you want to add realism to your model the above can be source of inspiration how sea can influence a ship by adding weathering effects, but if you look for quality of model and realism of made model(being true to historic plans) try looking at models at competitions or international meetings

 
I'm sorry to disappoint you, but those models are far from realistic and are more in a realm of folk art(in my opinion).
Totally agree with your comment, I am of the same opinion. Nice decorations to be sure, but not realistic in the least.
try looking at models at competitions or international meetings
Or the thousands of models on the RMG website, the Rogers Collection, models at the Paris and Madrid museums. There are build logs here at SOS with models that are far more realistic.
Allan
 
I'm sorry to disappoint you, but those models are far from realistic and are more in a realm of folk art(in my opinion). At those price I would demand much higher quality. Yes the quality of photos is indeed very high, but the objects them self .........:rolleyes:
In my humble opinion if you want to add realism to your model the above can be source of inspiration how sea can influence a ship by adding weathering effects, but if you look for quality of model and realism of made model(being true to historic plans) try looking at models at competitions or international meetings


I am not asking for "historical realism" of course those don't seem historic at all or even correct even if I am not an expert at all either to judge, but I am talking of the materials and appearence .
 
Your comment in the first post said " I am impressed by the realism" so a bit confusing when you now say not historical realism. It is realistic or it is not. In this case it is not. But, they are lovely decorator pieces and if you like the look, you should give it a go. It is your time and money, so it is your contentment in the hobby that matters most. I did a little research on Dimitrov's models and learned that they are created entirely from his imagination, without blueprints or measuring tools so have no relationship with realism.
Allan
 
Last edited:
Your comment in the first post said " I am impressed by the realism" so a bit confusing when you now say not historical realism. It is realistic or it is not. In this case it is not. But, they are lovely decorator pieces and if you like the look, you should give it a go. It is your time and money, so it is your contentment in the hobby that matters most. I did a little research on Dimitrov's models and learned that they are created entirely from his imagination, without blueprints or measuring tools so have no relationship with realism.
Allan
Ah sorry I am Italian , I am not a ware of theEnglish nuances, to me in Italian realistic sounds like visually realistic, and historical as Historical realistic .
 
Hello , I was looking at this site and the ships made by this artist and I am impressed by the realism of those, in your opinion , what is that make them look so realistic in materials?

For example the ships even if artistic , seems ready to ride the seas , the saisl look real , and so on ... apart the undoubtfull ability of the artist what is that actually makes those ships look so realistic? and how to achieve a similar result with wood, materials and sails?


From the arty site:
"Jordan Dimitrov built this remarkable brig with more than 10,000 individually designed elements. He created the plank-on-frame hull by hand and paid close attention to every detail."
Big Deal! It's what we all do.
 
To be clear... the pieces in question are examples of sculpture and they are very evocative. They evoke emotions that are, in their own way, real. But they are not accurate models of ships. It is the responsibility of the sculptor and the model ship builder to be clear in their intent: is the goal of my work to present a model that represents a real vessel as accurately as appropriate or is it to create a piece of art to convey a message or feeling? The irony is that a relatively accurate model conveys a message of its own. It's all good. Fair winds!
 
While I agree wholeheartedly with previous criticisms, in this artist's defense, I feel it is fair to point out that he is quite forthright about describing his work, in which case I believe the criticisms are inapplicable to this artist's work. Without belaboring the extensively discussed definition of a "quality scale ship model," I'll only restate it:

"A high-quality scale ship model provides a compelling impression of an actual vessel within the constraints of historical accuracy."

"Historical accuracy" encompasses all the objective, or measurable, standards of technical exactness that might apply to a ship model. These embrace the obvious hull shape and fairness; precision in fittings, rigging, and colors; lack of anachronisms; and so forth. But it also encompasses all aspects of craftsmanship because the lack of craftsmanship creates unrealistic and, therefore, historically inaccurate blemishes on a model.


Dimitrov is careful throughout his website to accurately describe his work as "maritime sculptures," (save for the commissioned Japanese training ship which he correctly terms a "model.) His CV confirms what is apparent from his work: his is a classically trained fine artist who has many years of experience with his subject matter. His work also confirms that he has an excellent command of his subject matter. That said, he is a "production" artist who in some measure apparently creates "for the decorator market" which, as all serious ship modelers should know, is in many respects woefully ignorant of the subject matter. His academic training is evident in his prodigious command of weathering techniques, notwithstanding that by any measure of "realism," they are extremely overdone and, from the perspective of accurately modeled realistic detail, conceal a multitude of other errors. However, the whole point is that he is not building "high-quality scale ship models," but rather he is building impressionistic fantasy sculptures (or by another name are called "decorator pieces") intended to be appreciated for what they are and nothing more. To that extent, they are works of fine art, if that genre is your cup of tea and, as the saying goes, "art is in the eye of the beholder." Do I think they are "neat?" Of course I do, but they aren't "high-quality scale ship models" because, although it may be argued that they "provide a compelling impression" of what his consumer base expects a vessel to be, they are decidedly, and to his credit, not represented to be, "actual vessels within the constraints of historical accuracy." They are not, nor are they intended to be, scale ship models. They are, however, very nice decorative maritime sculptures evoking a sense of ships and the sea for those who appreciate them.

There is much a scale ship modeler can still learn from studying his work, though. His weathering is very good, albeit overdone, and his use of color is an excellent example of application of the principle of scale viewing distance, no doubt learned from his academic training. It should also be noted that generally he wisely abides by the sound maxim that ship models (or in this instance, ship sculptures) should never be photographed at a distance closer than their intended actual viewing distance. There is a video of his "building methods" which provide "close ups" of his construction practices, and it is apparent that were they to be closely examined, their crude fabrication would betray their "toy-like" appearance when examined "in the flesh." Again, I must say that his "artistry" conceals the deficits which prevent his work from being judged against the standard of a "high-quality scale ship model," while being quite sufficiently entertaining to be called "excellent" for the purposes he intended. Lacking sufficient information, I cannot comment on the archival qualities of his works, which, given the prices he places upon them, would be a most important consideration in the validity of their valuation.

I certainly wouldn't scorn any artist who wished to work in the same genre he does, but any who do must realize that what they are producing is not a "high-quality scale ship model." It is, at the level of Dimetrov's skill, a "high-quality fantasy ship sculpture." I have seen many kit models built to a level of fit and finish quality similar to his work, or at least which appear to attempt to be, and they also fail to qualify as a "high-quality scale ship model" for the same reasons as his work does, although many such builders fail to recognize that fact. Unfortunately, many kit manufacturers aren't as honest as Mr. Dimetrov when they claim their kit produces a "museum quality scale ship model!" If we were talking classic cars instead of ship models and sculptures, were Mr. Dimetrov's works to be entered in a competition, they might stand a good chance of winning the "People's Choice" award, but they would never make "Best of Show" on the lawn at Pebble Beach.
 
Last edited:
My visit to the site involved pop-ups, and too much that smelled like phishing scams to see anything other than the Fisher-Price toy rotating around. If there's other sculptures, I didn't see them.

Of that particular sculpture, none of the parts or rigging had any of the minor flaws you'd expect to see in a real object; fuzz on lines, ends cut or melted, edges, joins, brush-strokes, the slightest uneven paint, tool marks - all the things you see, in the finest work here, even on 3D printed objects.
If it's not AI trash, or a 3D model (or an AI made 3D model?) then the photos are extremely edited - Photoshopped and no matter how you cut it - it's dishonest - it's not what they claim it to be. Maybe the claim of realistic is saying it looks like a physical model though it's not?

The site is not someone saying "look what I made" - it's someone trying to sell something and targeting the gullible that click on every link with a pretty picture. I own several domain names, and get at least 100 spam emails per day on the email connected to them. Many claim to have free plans, tool specials, points with some retailer, 3D modeling services, publishing services, etc etc etc - and they all look like this site.
 
i think you guys are just being modest. the pain staking research and efforts to show every deck nail n rivit in the copper, the time taken to make properly scaled n handed ropes. blocks n dead eyes period appropriate. to see a ship fully rigged with sails n crew working, cargo on deck, cannons n so many other details... not realistic? even the artisan's ships have that certain realistic feel.

so come on guys... take that pat on the back you truly deserve.
 
Hello , I was looking at this site and the ships made by this artist and I am impressed by the realism of those, in your opinion , what is that make them look so realistic in materials?

For example the ships even if artistic , seems ready to ride the seas , the saisl look real , and so on ... apart the undoubtfull ability of the artist what is that actually makes those ships look so realistic? and how to achieve a similar result with wood, materials and sails?


This is art, these ships are very artistic and impressionist. Very well done and photo taking is perfect, but if realism is what you are looking for they are far from that. Like I said, they are artistic and well done. But realism is a different type of art.
 
Back
Top