Model ship costs ...

Sorry guys, time for a small moan. After looking at the excellent Amati HMS Vanguard build by Kamal (Link) I was looking at the cost of the model. On Premier Ship Models, they have Amati Vanguard which at first looks like a great buy with 40% off the price (Link), a sale price of £688 rather than the "normal" price of £1,075. Looks to be a great deal ... NO DEFINITELY NOT. Looking at other model ship sites such as Cornwall Model Boats, their standard price is £685 for the same model. Why do companies inflate prices like this in the hope people will think it is a great deal ... I have no time for companies that try this type of sales approach and based on this would tack away from said companies.

If you have a membership with Cornwall Model Boats you get 5% off the price as well, which saves another £45-ish.

I want to clarify my idiosyncrasy towards kits. I believe that before starting to build a model, it is extremely interesting to study, by doing research, the entire history of a vessel that you want to reproduce. Researching the drawings, reducing them to the desired scale, transferring them onto the wood is part of the art of model making. It's clear that not everyone has the same manual ability or desire. Personally, I'm on my second construction and I'm not ashamed to ask what or how to do it. As a kid, I was 6 or 7 years old... (I'm 79 now) they took me to visit a school, and I remember seeing a model ship. Ship that definitely wasn't made from a kit. I remember as if it were now the details that left us children speechless. I read that if you buy all the pieces separately you spend more than buying a kit. I do not agree. My first ship cost me €18 when I bought the wood online in China. Now I bought myself a €45 mini wood lathe with which I will make the cannons and other parts. However, I bought a Chinese kit for €18 that I will never build, but I use to recover the gun carriages, grates and small details that are too small to make with my current capabilities.
In short, be modelers and not assemblers. The world is full of houses with Bounty .. Victory .. Constitution ... ect put together from one kit.
Sorry, but this is my opinion
Eugenio

I want to clarify my idiosyncrasy towards kits. I believe that before starting to build a model, it is extremely interesting to study, by doing research, the entire history of a vessel that you want to reproduce. Researching the drawings, reducing them to the desired scale, transferring them onto the wood is part of the art of model making. It's clear that not everyone has the same manual ability or desire. Personally, I'm on my second construction and I'm not ashamed to ask what or how to do it. As a kid, I was 6 or 7 years old... (I'm 79 now) they took me to visit a school, and I remember seeing a model ship. Ship that definitely wasn't made from a kit. I remember as if it were now the details that left us children speechless. I read that if you buy all the pieces separately you spend more than buying a kit. I do not agree. My first ship cost me €18 when I bought the wood online in China. Now I bought myself a €45 mini wood lathe with which I will make the cannons and other parts. However, I bought a Chinese kit for €18 that I will never build, but I use to recover the gun carriages, grates and small details that are too small to make with my current capabilities.
In short, be modelers and not assemblers. The world is full of houses with Bounty .. Victory .. Constitution ... ect put together from one kit.
Sorry, but this is my opinion
Eugenio
Everyone is welcome to their opinion !! In my opinion the choice of whether to build from a kit or from scratch is entirely up to the individual and what gives them pleasure and enjoyment from their hobby and I see that being based upon experience, ability and availability of appropriate tools and skills. Your statement "be modellers and not assemblers" is a condescending statement to many on this Forum who get hours of pleasure building from a kit.

this thread is about the same as this one

it is far cheaper to build from scratch or assemble a scratch kit than it is the buy a pre made kit because there is no middle man making a profit.

Your statement "be modelers and not assemblers" is a condescending statement to many on this Forum who get hours of pleasure building from a kit.

true when i judged ship model contests years ago there was always a scratch built catagory and a kit catagory. one is a hobby craft and one is an art form.

few want to take this to the level of art. it is like assembling jig saw puzzles and i did hundreds over the years with my aging mom when i went to visit her.
There is a relaxing zen quality to it. Nothing wrong with assembling a kit but it is not the art of scale ship modeling.

kit or scratch requires a degree of skill

Back to the original subject of the post, I've always found Cornwall Model Boats kits to be reasonably priced and for the shop to provide excellent service. I live in the states, but I've sometimes found that even with shipping I can do better shopping there. I don't think the do sales, but their regularly priced kits are usually in the range of what I find on sale elsewhere. They are part of a small group of vendors I always check when looking for something. As for inflating prices, ship model companies aren't the only ones who regularly do that. I'm a musician and just about every site and brick-and-mortar music shops have the list price and then the actual "sale" price.

i scratch build because i have access to tools n developed skills over the years.... but i always recomend kits to first timers. but not those cheap solid hull kits... they are usually lacking and expect the builder to have skills they really dont have yet, or even tools. the plank on frame are a good challenge, especially since you can ask the experts here for advice... and these guys are real experts as you can see in their build logs.

a good kit will have everything you need but be cautious of the level the kit is rated for compared to your level of skills. start with a schooner before taking on a 16th or 17th century war ship or clipper with complicated rigging schemes. develope your attention span and eye for details in the plans.

I am exclusively a scratch builder. However, had it not been for starting out with building kits I would never have had the ability to produce ship models as a commercial business. I was driven away from kit building years ago due to cost, the quality of wood ,and poor fittings included in the kits I purchased. ( I realize the quality of kits has improved greatly over the years, but so has the cost.) I would say to the kit builders in the group, "DON"T GIVE UP THE SHIP," your work is absolutely beautiful.

I speak as a novice. I started with a €20 Chinese kit. I never completed it, in fact I'm using parts of it to make my own fantasy ships. I think that in any case the Chinese kit made me understand what equipment was necessary for this hobby.. From what I can say, I believe that the cheap Chinese kits are well made and if you do a search in the forum, you will find several people who use them they assembled.
In practice, €20 is well spent even just to get an idea.

Back