Model Shipways ELSIE 1910, Scale 1:64, by Halbaby7

YOU JUST DID. :)

Just take pictures and post them in a thread with some discussion of the steps as you build. If you happen to post the thread in the wrong section of the forum, Donnie, the Admin, will gladly move it to the proper place.

Thank you sir! I spent nearly 50 years bent over a jewelers bench plying my trade so the computer age was born, grew and passed me by. So I am very computer 'illiterate' if you get my drift. So I'm learning several things at once

Now. I remembering trying to start a jog about 5-6 years ago, asked questions how, forgot much but posted some pics and a description of a 'water line' marking tool. But I couldn't find it, thus starting anew. Also the move from N. Carolina, to the home I grew up in and some remodeling to create a space for my new shipyard took much longer than expected. Done with that and am now shipbuilding again...finally!

I had the pleasure of working from the same plans for Elsie, though I made my model from scratch instead of the kit. It was a very satisfying project and I hope you will find it is as well. By the way, the correct scale is 1:96 for 1/8" = 1'. Model Shipways made a mistake on the box with the 1:64. Erik Ronnberg, who drew the plans for the kit, also published a small booklet on making a model of a fishing schooner. It is mostly about the Benjamin Latham but much of the information is relevant to Elsie as well. I referred to it constantly through the project. Good luck and enjoy!IMG_9424.JPG

Looks like the Bluenose to my untrained eye.
As well she should. The way I'd put it, Bluenose looks like Elsie. Bluenose (1923) evolved out of the design of many American schooners, like Elsie (1910). In the Fisherman's Race Elsie competed against Bluenose and lost. Because of her greater size, Bluenose had the advantage of the greater waterline length. Both are lovely schooners.

I received an old kit for the Fishing Schooner - #2005, Elsie - 1910. it is in a long yellow box from Model Shipways Co. Inc. I have the parts list and Modeling guide booklet but no plans. Would any one know where I might locate some plans for this kit?

2021-09-13_17-56-48_413.jpeg

Back