Model Shipways Lowell Grand Banks Dory.

Update…. Been busy with life.
Very nice detailing of the dory. Did you see the Bluenose 100 YouTube on Dory fishing and fishermen. I think it was in that one that the museum curator showed a wooden object like a darning devise for socks and said that the dories had a hole in the bottom near the stern with this devise used as a plug. When a dory capsized or the doryman went over the side, the devise somehow became his life saving device to grab and keep above the water and in contact with the dory. I could not see where the hole and plug were located so it is not clear where: in the bottom or in the transom. Does you kit make any recognition of this or have you seen it elsewhere? Small but critical detail for the fisherman. Rich (PT-2)

I haven’t seen that detail in the kit. But now that you mention it I’ll do some research.

I haven’t seen that detail in the kit. But now that you mention it I’ll do some research.
I tried going back to the Bluenose 100 You Tube but only cursorily looked at a few that might have it. A short Google search with some key words (wrong ones it seems) did not turn up anything. The plug was about 8 - 10 inches long like a pregnant belaying on steroids at the handle section. It has my curiosity restimulated. RIch

Life continues to be overfull. Managed some time to work on the Dory. Ready for painting…
Hi @mwroman , I’m enjoying your build, looks great.

With regard to the bottom plug arrangement I went through some photos I took a while back of a dory in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. I don’t remember seeing the actual plug in this case but as you can see the “hole” was bored in the bottom. To simulate it for my own Grand Banks dory model I used a standard plug and line. (Couple of photos attached).

However, dories were fitted with a tight fitting plug. A hole was bored through the bottom of the plug and a becketed line passed through. The becket hung below the bottom of the dory and in the event of a capsize the becket provided a handhold for the man in the water. The crewman was therefore able to stay with his capsized boat.

(The museum photo shows the plug hole, the dark image to the right is a hand lead)

10DBE3FD-2E62-4BC2-B4FD-9E8C22917137.jpeg80A4F100-9DD2-4A6E-BD43-E0A96DD1655E.jpeg

With regard to the bottom plug arrangement I went through some photos I took a while back of a dory in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. I don’t remember seeing the actual plug in this case but as you can see the “hole” was bored in the bottom. To simulate it for my own Grand Banks dory model I used a standard plug and line. (Couple of photos attached).

However, dories were fitted with a tight fitting plug. A hole was bored through the bottom of the plug and a becketed line passed through. The becket hung below the bottom of the dory and in the event of a capsize the becket provided a handhold for the man in the water. The crewman was therefore able to stay with his capsized boat.

(The museum photo shows the plug hole, the dark image to the right is a hand lead)

View attachment 262894View attachment 262895
You have produced a very nice and carefully detailed assembly of fishing needs for the doryman. First Place MetalRich (PT-2)

Excellent recollection and old photo with a clear explanation of this life saving system. I have not found the YouTube clip of it but your explanation exceeds that one. Thanks for posting it. Rich (PT-2)

You have produced a very nice and carefully detailed assembly of fishing needs for the doryman. First Place MetalRich (PT-2)
Excellent recollection and old photo with a clear explanation of this life saving system. I have not found the YouTube clip of it but your explanation exceeds that one. Thanks for posting it. Rich (PT-2)
Thanks Rich, I'm glad I can provide some input and thanks for your comments.

Very smart looking work MWRoman and so is your build log. I have begun planking the Model Shipways 18th C Longboat and can appreciate the small scale you are dealing with.

I finally found the Bluenose 100 You Tube presentation that was my first realization about the dory hole and plug/brail life saving line.
Here is the full video but skip up to 18:30 which is just before the commentary which has an additional comment about the hole being able to drain nested stacks of dories which may collect unwanted water.
Just another bit of information.
Rich (PT-2)

Awesome looking model, Roger! I love the additional details and particularly the sail. Very well done!

Wow, thanks everyone for all of the research and info and photos!

Well, life got very busy all of a sudden. Finally had some time to build. I “finished” the Dory. The kit supplied rope seemed huge. It scaled to about three inches in diameter, which seemed excessive. So I’ll find something closer to about an inch, maybe 1.5 inches.
At any rate, I’m calling it done for now.

Attachments

• DEA875F0-F04E-4104-B14B-8307ACB385F2.jpeg
    DEA875F0-F04E-4104-B14B-8307ACB385F2.jpeg
    223.5 KB · Views: 23
Wow, thanks everyone for all of the research and info and photos!

Well, life got very busy all of a sudden. Finally had some time to build. I “finished” the Dory. The kit supplied rope seemed huge. It scaled to about three inches in diameter, which seemed excessive. So I’ll find something closer to about an inch, maybe 1.5 inches.
At any rate, I’m calling it done for now.
Wonderful work with the precise detailing and paint lines. First Place Metal

Thanks for the generous comments mwroman.

Your dory looks really good, you did a great job on it. Which kit is next?
Well, the Norwegian Sailing Pram is #2 in the series, so that will be next.
I’ll start a thread for it, probably later today.

Back