Model Shipways RATTLESNAKE

Are you glad you did the planking from deck up before planking the hull? JKB. Your pictures are of great help
I'd say yes if I remember correctly. The one thing that bothers me the most is the deck, way to dark. As I understand it, the decks were almost white from being holystoned every day. I think the deck on my Endurance would be more appropriate.
Endurance 022.jpg

I'd say yes if I remember correctly. The one thing that bothers me the most is the deck, way to dark. As I understand it, the decks were almost white from being holystoned every day. I think the deck on my Endurance would be more appropriate.
View attachment 272612
Thanks. Model Expo included “deck gray “ paint. I though it was a mistake but maybe not.
Getting ready to frame gun ports. If I am going to use port covers, do I need to frame these positions?
Let me know if I “over stay” your invitation to help
Jack

Not sure where deck gray would be used except on USN Ship. (Used a lot of it on DD-708 back in the day). Looking back I see I didn't use gunport covers on mine. When I did Pegasus I didn't inside frame them. Some people frame the inside edges of the port. You can also sandwich one piece the same size as the port with another just a little larger, or do both. Guess it's a personnel choice. I did the two layer thing on my Pegasus as you can see in the attached photo. Ask away Jack. That's the purpose of this great website.

Pegasus 193.jpg

Just finished midship gun ports and waterways on gun deck. Thinking about next step, putting in beams. Little confused. Would it make sense to plank gun deck next?
if i remember i did plank first. think i made a template of the deck and assembled the deck then installed it. my usual way to deck.

Not sure where deck gray would be used except on USN Ship. (Used a lot of it on DD-708 back in the day). Looking back I see I didn't use gunport covers on mine. When I did Pegasus I didn't inside frame them. Some people frame the inside edges of the port. You can also sandwich one piece the same size as the port with another just a little larger, or do both. Guess it's a personnel choice. I did the two layer thing on my Pegasus as you can see in the attached photo. Ask away Jack. That's the purpose of this great website.

View attachment 272639
great progress it's looks beautiful :)Thumbsup

I finally got around to doing my first build log. Already well into the basic hull so this log is not from the beginning. Started by building a clamping base to hold the hull from aluminum angle drilled and tapped to make thing easier to handle. A lot of time was spent building various jigs to keep things square and sized correctly. Need some more sanding then will start the hull planking above the wale.

Question: As to the paint - what is recommended, flat, matte, or gloss? Can't decide if Acrylic, enamel, or lacquer is the best way to go.

All criticism greatly accepted.View attachment 126958View attachment 126959View attachment 126960View attachment 126961View attachment 126962View attachment 126963View attachment 126964
Obviously I'm still learning to plank a hull. Lots of sanding, filling, more sanding...... Drilled the mounting holes and added filler blocks in the hull while I had the keel mounted square in the drill press. After I'm happy with the sanding I spray auto primer and sand again. The color scheme will be the same as the the photo on the box. View attachment 128505View attachment 128506View attachment 128507View attachment 128508

Attachments

• 38884939-41F2-412A-B61A-38B987CF9721.jpeg
    38884939-41F2-412A-B61A-38B987CF9721.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 6
Can't remember and I gave the ship to my son so have to look at photos I took. Looks like there is a flat piece of stock that covers the decking and the side planking so I'd go with flush with the deck after it's planked.

Back