Model Shipways US Brig Syren

Welcome fellow builders, to my first build log. This is my first very first wooden model and build log, so I suspect updates to happen frequently, but with little progress in between. I want to do this beautiful kit justice by building it to perfection (in my eyes). Maybe a bit more than I can handle for my first kit, but with the immensely detailed instructions and blueprints, I settled on this kit over the ZHL golden black pearl so I can generally speaking, understand how these kits are put together.

0B1F0A99-177E-40A9-9781-094617801A17.jpegA9AB224E-8D9D-472D-8416-B393243B56E5.jpeg446FD8ED-A925-477E-9847-1036C8E1B532.jpeg

First progress update. I’ve started labelling all my pieces of wood and pre-formed/glued my rabbet strip onto the bulkhead former. As well as started glueup on the longboat hill and begun rough forming all the oars.

I’ll definitely be skipping ahead and forming other parts while waiting for glue ups to dry throughout the build.

967C8E40-38D7-4991-99DA-D50ED5D46BBA.jpeg7204CC8A-AAC5-438E-A566-4AD60DC66F4C.jpeg3ABCCFB5-D1D2-41AB-927C-231D7F2AF5C8.jpeg

Thank you for starting this build log, I will be following with much interest as I have this kit in my stash.

I'm not sure if you are aware of the Youtube channel dedicated to this model:
Actually I have, it came up while searching for build logs. Haven’t watched much of it yet, I’ve peeked at a few episodes though. Unfortunately the log hasn’t finished the boat yet, but I’m sure it will be handy up to that point.

This should be a great kit to start with. Complicated enough to get you fully submerged in the build process without so much as to be overwhelming. This will challenge you but with the support of everyone here you shouldn’t run into anything that you can’t handle.

This should be a great kit to start with. Complicated enough to get you fully submerged in the build process without so much as to be overwhelming. This will challenge you but with the support of everyone here you shouldn’t run into anything that you can’t handle.
Definitely is more appealing to me than those basic kits like the Corel yachts. I think if I picked one of those up, I’d just purposely cruise through it to get to something more fun.
Thankfully I’ve been reading a lot on the building process so at least I’m aware of what I’m getting into. So far, it’s been a blast.

Yes, agree. Simple kits are not as much fun as I remember from my younger days. Here is a pic of the Space Shuttle I had sitting around. Built it yesterday, not fully finished but 90% done in 1 day. Need to add the wheels, clean up the paint and add the decals.
IMG_0512.jpg

Welcome fellow builders, to my first build log. This is my first very first wooden model and build log, so I suspect updates to happen frequently, but with little progress in between. I want to do this beautiful kit justice by building it to perfection (in my eyes). Maybe a bit more than I can handle for my first kit, but with the immensely detailed instructions and blueprints, I settled on this kit over the ZHL golden black pearl so I can generally speaking, understand how these kits are put together.
Hallo @Aipearson
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Are you still working on the Brig Syren? Would be great to see some update of your working process

Back