Model Shipways USF Constitution

Dr. Herzog responded and basically these are bolts that went through the spirketting and quickwork inboard, the frames, and outer planking in lieu of treenails from both inboard and outboard. Looking at your photo again it is great to see you have the thickness of the quickwork less than that of the spirketting. This is often missed by many folks, myself included in my earlier builds.
Allan
Thank you Allan. Being a novice at some of the terminology used in ships of the age of sail, could you enlighten me as to the meaning of spirketting and quickworks and the difference between them. It seems the dictionary says they are essentially the same. Whatever the case may be, I am “relieved” that they are correct on my model.

Kahn
Learning the terminology can be like learning a foreign language at times. :) The following is from the dictionary portion Steel's The Elements and Practice of Naval Architecture. The spirketting and quickwork scantlings for various size ships and for each deck can be found in the Establishments, as well as the folios in The Elements and Practice of Naval Architecture. Both sets can be found in Scantlings of Royal Navy Ships.
From Steel
IMG_6726.JPG
Note that it extends to the lower sills which are the lower cross pieces that makes up the gunports.

IMG_6727.JPG

The picture below is from Peter Goodwin's The Construction and Fitting of the English Man of War, page 44
The quickwork is the thinner planking above the spirketting.
IMG_6725.JPG

I hope this is useful to you.

Allan

Kahn
Learning the terminology can be like learning a foreign language at times. :) The following is from the dictionary portion Steel's The Elements and Practice of Naval Architecture. The spirketting and quickwork scantlings for various size ships and for each deck can be found in the Establishments, as well as the folios in The Elements and Practice of Naval Architecture. Both sets can be found in Scantlings of Royal Navy Ships.
From Steel
View attachment 457632
Note that it extends to the lower sills which are the lower cross pieces that makes up the gunports.

View attachment 457630

The picture below is from Peter Goodwin's The Construction and Fitting of the English Man of War, page 44
The quickwork is the thinner planking above the spirketting.
View attachment 457634

I hope this is useful to you.

Allan
Thanks so much for including the illustrations. Now I can see your main point about the bulwark thickness. Rob

Back