Monographs---I am confused.!!

Bonjour tout le monde!

Without any pretension, it seems that there is some mess between terms in English and in French: "Monographie" is only a book which expose all the knowledge about ONE precise and particular topic. It brings together, organize and resume all the elements (books, plans, articles, pictures, etc.) about a topic which, by definition of a monographie, should not know anymore adds, any evolution, a kind of finale and definitive work!
May this be pretentious? Hummm...after all, that's French, but what is sure is that it is still mostly published like books, the term Monographie doesn't imply that it must be in one volume, that the plans (for the example of a monographie on a boat) are in a specific size, separate or inside the book, that you must find any picture inside (there is monographie about Sociology and scientific topics).
As an architect, Jean BOUDRIOT was a technician and he became a passionate and competent searcher about topics like weapons and boats. I don't know exactly is curriculum but he get access to all the treasures of the Musée de la Marine and of the Archives Nationales or Militaires, and that"s why he was able to collect all the data about a particular boat and to write a definitive book about it, a "Monographie".

It seems that the English term "Monograph" include some notions of edition, of type of uses. English seems to be rich of more precise terms about documents like memorandum, notes, report, etc. that French just call Rapport.

May be we should just keep the french word "Monographie "when it designs a document apparently bringing together all the data about a boat from the Past?

Cordialement,
Bob

Hello Bob...
I think your ideas are good ones. My understanding of monographs are much like yours. As a former college educator I wrote several “white papers” and monographs. It is true they were more of a scholarly pursuit, but the idea was very similar.

My confusion originated in the way books were listed on different websites. In one place they were called a book. In the next, the same “book” was called a monograph. It made no sense.

I have decided that I will have to contact the vendors before I place an order. It seems the only way to be certain what I am buying.!!

Thank you for your very lucid and informed ideas. It all makes sense. Too bad the sellers (vendors) can’t agree on anything.!!

Kind regards,
Howard

Back